N64 portable worklog

Usually low-temp glue yes, but I use high temperature glue. I've read that it doesn't melt till 195 celsius, and my system's not producing more than 55 degrees anywhere. Even in a case, if it were cramped with little airflow, I know my temps aren't going to get to 100. So there! :p

yes, but that won't make your heatsinks very efficient. Also, games that need that Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie! you have to hold Z and press "C" buttons. :)

Okay, probably going to find way to do shoulder buttons, then. And I probably should have not hot-glued them in place, but it keeps them there and I don't need a cool-running system, just one that doesn't get too hot to touch.

So what exactly is between the heatsinks and the chips? Please, not hot glue, you used thermal paste, right?

Also, something to keep in mind: They may seem solid, but changing the temperature over and over will eventually cause the glue to flex VERY slightly, and probably pull the heatsink away from the chip just barely. Not gonna be fun if/when that happens. ;) I suggest you use some zip ties, if you can. Soak them in boiling hot water first, it will make them stretch out more, so when they tighten, they will be TIGHT.

No. I'm not that dumb. I used thermal paste, but I didn't like some of the ways described to hold on the heatsinks. Especially since I actually have four heatsinks on the cpu and the rcp. I had high-temp glue, and hoped it would okay but... if it does end up flexing, would a non-conductive superglue, epoxy, or jb weld be okay? What are zip ties?

I'm sorry guys, but I think I need to take a break from project for now. When doing a system as awesome as this one, I really want to go all-out. I don't feel like my soldering is quite up to par with what I'd like to do, just yet. As such, I will halt my work log for now. I think I may just sit back, make a simple first portable, then try something this advanced later. I definitely want to finish this though, I never got the opportunity to play this system when I was a kid.

For anyone who commented, thanks! I really appreciate it, good luck on your guys' projects! :D

What do you mean by "simple first portable"? You can make an N64p as a "simple first portable"!

I know, what I meant was something like an NES, has no heating to worry about, just an easy video amp. If I do an N64, I want really good cooling, relocated 8 mb of ram, relocated jumper pak, and a good control scheme.

Believe me, it's not that I want to throw the N64 into the Drawer of Death, I just don't feel like I have enough experience to give the N64 the type of attention it deserves. When I can make a few nice, easy mods, I'll definitely resume this project. I don't want to struggle with my first portable; I'd rather make something I'm certain I can accomplish, then build on that experience to help me with more advanced projects.

I totally agree with that, 100%.

That is why I am doing a NESp rather then a GCp.

I don't think I can stay away from this system, I wantz more modz! :cry4:

Can anyone give any tips on how to solder to such small points like the jumper pak pinouts? I was able to solder to the resistor points on the jumper pak, but not the n64 side. I don't know how you guys manage to do this without bridging anything.

I really want to get this part finished, 'cause then I can start my case and have this thing finished in no time! :sweat:

Use 30 or higher gauge magnet wire. Strip the ends, then tin them with a small but of solder. Line them up with the trace, then press the iron down on top of them briefly. It will stick just fine. :awesome:

:cry4: I fail. I bridged a couple of connections, and I took off the wire so I could fix my bridges. When I tried to remove the solder, I lifted a couple of pins off the board. :hit:

It's okay, I have another, earlier revision N64 laying around, so I'll start again. I don't have a whole jumper pak, though, so I'm going to have to relocate the jumper pak on this one, as well.

Unfortunately, it grows back. I did this with one of those cigarette lighters in our pickup. It would be awesome to have no finger prints :rofl:

eurddrue said:
Unfortunately, it grows back. I did this with one of those cigarette lighters in our pickup. It would be awesome to have no finger prints :rofl:
You burned your finger with a lighter intentionally? WTF!!? :eek: ::3:

Back