my playstation portable.

themadhacker

Crazy Train
Ok, so I am really trying to get this done soon. I wasn't going to post pictures, but I might as well now anyway.

The case is mostly done. It just needs a few more holes drilled and the screen area widened because my pustom screen died and I am replacing it with a 3.5 screen from ebay.

Now for some pictures of the playboy.

100_0033.jpg

nothing soldered here yet. The buttons and joysticks are just taped in for the picture.
100_0034.jpg

100_0035.jpg

100_0037.jpg

Oh, and before people start asking, yes I am going to leave the disc free-spinning like that. No disc cover for me!

Nice I like the look of it. Is there still room for batteries?
P.S I like that you didnt use a psone d-pad.
Also how did you cyt the dpad and button holes so perfectly?

banditpaw1 said:

There is BARELY enough room for batteries. I have two small nimh 1200 mah batteries that I am wiring in paralell to get 2400 mah. They take up a lot of space, but they are free and I think I can manage with them.

Yeah, I hate the ps1 d-pad too.

the holes were actually pretty easy to cut. I just traced the holes from the actual controllers in a blue sharpie. For the d-pad I drilled a small hole, got my file and just filed it until it was perfect size. For the buttons, I just used a drill, starting with a small bit, then a bit slightly larger than the buttons.

themadhacker said:
banditpaw1 said:

There is BARELY enough room for batteries. I have two small nimh 1200 mah batteries that I am wiring in paralell to get 2400 mah. They take up a lot of space, but they are free and I think I can manage with them.

Yeah, I hate the ps1 d-pad too.

the holes were actually pretty easy to cut. I just traced the holes from the actual controllers in a blue sharpie. For the d-pad I drilled a small hole, got my file and just filed it until it was perfect size. For the buttons, I just used a drill, starting with a small bit, then a bit slightly larger than the buttons.
If I ever make a second psone-p i know how it will look.

Strange but true, I actually thought about doing a near-identical portable. But now you've beat me to it. Not that I like the PS1 much anyway.

Love the name. XD

I think that playboy was the original name for G-force's PlayMad.

I could be wrong, but, well... I'm not.

Anyways, looks like it'll be pretty nice. Not loving the small screen idea on playstation games, but it works.

Argelfraster beat him to it as well (in posting at least).

Looks nice, great craftsmanship going on in der.

Also, the dog.

i really like it, but it looks uncomfortable, having the sticks so low. it would cramp my hands.

THAT, and mine is using the analog sticks. They take up quite a bit of space themselves. I was going to use ones from a psp but one of the ones I bought was really tight to move and when I hooked it up to a dualshock it kept thinking I was moving to the right. I had it hooked up correctly, but I decided to not use them because they are just not as well made. Besides, psp analogs do not have the button that dualshocks have.

samjc3 said:
i really like it, but it looks uncomfortable, having the sticks so low. it would cramp my hands.

it feels ever so slightly awkward, but not badly, though. It is something that once I start playing will adapt to very fast and it will not bother me.

The case looks really, really good. I don't really like the look of the AG series too much, but it looks good with this layout.

thanks, though imo the case could be much better. If you look closel;y you can see a few messed up spots on the frontside. Fist, I bumped right above the screen area with my dremel. Then, in the lower left screen corner, I drelemed a bit of a line going down.

As for updates I don't have much to say except that I bought another official memory card for it. I now have two to wire into the portable so I can have plenty of game saves.

Also, I have decided against A/V out and a second memory card/p2 port. If I want a better picture and multiplayer, I have two other playstations to hook up to my TV.

another small update.

I soldered in the mem-cards and I found a good way to extend the DD ribbon without buying an extension cable. I can't easily explain so later I might have to take pics of it.

themadhacker said:
another small update.

I soldered in the mem-cards and I found a good way to extend the DD ribbon without buying an extension cable. I can't easily explain so later I might have to take pics of it.
Is it the "solder wires to the ribbon and jam the other end in the ribbon clamp" method?

I have somewhat of a small update. I was at "the shack" today and I bought a nice set of mp3 speakers made by Accurian. They have really good sound, run on three AAA batteries, and the board is smaller than the one in the amp hailraizer posted. I have no idea on the ma of it, but it can't be very high at all. Now when I get some more money I can get a screen and finish this up.

Back