Dreamcast vs. PS2

PalmerTech said:
QuickSkop3 said:
P.S my dreamcast has that really rare port thingy on the back

All dreamcasts have a 56k modem, those are not rare. If you happen to have the broadband adapter, then yes, you are very lucky. Considering they only had distribution in Japan, though, I doubt you have one. ;)

humm, well, what do they look like compared to each other. I cant really look at it now, im at school :p

QuickSkop3 said:
PalmerTech said:
QuickSkop3 said:
P.S my dreamcast has that really rare port thingy on the back

All dreamcasts have a 56k modem, those are not rare. If you happen to have the broadband adapter, then yes, you are very lucky. Considering they only had distribution in Japan, though, I doubt you have one. ;)

humm, well, what do they look like compared to each other. I cant really look at it now, im at school :p

One has an Ethernet port and the other has a standard phone jack.

PS2 phat.

You can put a hard drive in it, soft mod it, and install your games to the hard drive, negating the need for discs. One of the best things I've ever done, I've got something like 30 games on my PS2. Haven't had to put a disc in it in months.

Oh, and I can play MP3s, stream videos from my PC to the PS2 wirelessly, (well, my PC is wireless, the PS2's hooked up to the router,) emulators, and FTP in to the PS2 from my PC.

All without discs.

Dreamcast is cool and all, don't get me wrong - love em. But the PS2 kills it in modding potential.

You can do a hard drive with a slim too, but it's slow and dumb.

Ever thought that maybe I just want to play some games? :p

Probably going for a Dreamcast, but I'm going to get a PS2 off someone for cheap. There's a lot of PS2s around, but no Dreamcasts. :gonk:

XCVG said:
Ever thought that maybe I just want to play some games?

:eek: You call yourself a modder? For shame.

What's wrong with that? Me, I like having real copies of games if I can get them. It satisfies the collector impulse in me to have the case, manual, and disc. It's the same reason I insist on buying PC games at the store, along with being able to just install them and go and not have to wait a few hours to download them. In addition, I don't have to deal with games being compressed in order to fit on a CD-R, so I know I won't have any problems with the game. That's just me, though.

Wait a minute, you can pirate games for the Dreamcast? Well, I knew that actually, but I thought it's really hard?

XCVG said:
Wait a minute, you can pirate games for the Dreamcast? Well, I knew that actually, but I thought it's really hard?
It's actually easy as *Can'tSayThisOnTV*. get a CD-R, download the program BootDreams, download a .cdi file, and use BootDreams to burn the game on the CD-R. The Dreamcast has no copy protection. In addition, you can also burn emulators on a CD for the Dreamcast.

Twilight Wolf said:
What's wrong with that? Me, I like having real copies of games if I can get them. It satisfies the collector impulse in me to have the case, manual, and disc. It's the same reason I insist on buying PC games at the store, along with being able to just install them and go and not have to wait a few hours to download them. In addition, I don't have to deal with games being compressed in order to fit on a CD-R, so I know I won't have any problems with the game. That's just me, though.

^
this

I am the same way, except with music too. I feel better buying an album on a cd or even better, vinyl, then just copying a disc or pirating off of limewire.

DRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMCCCCCAAAAASSSSTTTT!!!!!!!! Dreamcast Dreamcast Dreamcast Dreamcast Dreamcast Dreamcast Dreamcast!!!
Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue, Shenmue 2, Soul Calibur, Internet Browser, Motion Controls, Virtua Games, Sonic Shuffle, Emulators, run backup games without modding it, online play, Linux, Crazy Taxi, Chu Chu Rocket, Quake, VMU...

Dreamcast= :awesome:

Well, I'm going to avoid the hed asplode and get both. A brand spankin new Dreamcast in all it's glory from a reputable online dealer, and a cheap piece of flax "gently" used PS2 off some guy at school.

Also, I heard that you have to go through some special steps for later model dreamcasts, but otherwise ahem... backing up games seems pretty easy.

XCVG said:
Also, I heard that you have to go through some special steps for later model dreamcasts, but otherwise ahem... backing up games seems pretty easy.

All Dreamcasts run Backups the same way, All Dreamcasts run Backups the same way, All Dreamcasts run Backups the same way, All Dreamcasts run Backups the same way, All Dreamcasts run Backups the same way, All Dreamcasts run Backups the same way, All Dreamcasts run Backups the same way, All Dreamcasts run Backups the same way.

I don't know where everyone gets that later DCs require other steps, or that it is impossible, but Backing up is possible on all DCs the same way.

Back