Budget 1080p hd camcorders: which is best?

Flip HD is only $200, and it shoots HD. Not sure if it's 1080p, but it's Dang good quality.

They are probably fine for casual video, but from my (brief) time at the IndyMogul forums I learned a few things. One is that HD means very little, and another is that those Jazz and Aiptec and Flip and all those are garbage. It's better to get a cheap-ish Canon or Sony or whatever, even if it's not HD and still uses tapes. Also, the built in audio sucks on pretty much everything, so look for a mic jack.

That said, the Aipteks are cheap, have a (decent) reputation, and will probably do fine. You probably don't need the optical zoom, but it's not much more anyway. Some sort of mic jack or just a better mic modded on is almost essential, though. Audio is actually more important than video. People will suffer through bad video, but not bad audio.

Also, if you plan on doing gameplay videos, pick up an EasyCAP dongle from DX for $20. Pointing your camera at the TV really looks like flax. Especially if it's a CRT.

XCVG said:
Also, if you plan on doing gameplay videos, pick up an EasyCAP dongle from DX for $20. Pointing your camera at the TV really looks like flux. Especially if it's a CRT.
Just my experience with this is that I found an EasyCAP on eBay for less than DX, so look around. Other than that it works great! Wonderful for simple broadcasting simple recording, I wouldn't trust it past that.

Back