2 questions about my Thinkpad Heatsink

Kanelot

After going through Tchay's infinitely helpful cooling guide, I have bought a thinkpad heatsink because of its built-in fan and successfulness on other peoples portables. However, because the screwholes do not match up with the gamecube motherboard, I have not been able to apply it and I'm not sure how to hold it down. I don't think my arctic silver is going to be enough to hold it. What would you guys recommend?

Also, the heatsink does not have a flat bottom-it has a metal protrusion that sticks out that is meant to cover the thinkpad's prosseser. However this means that when I lay the heatsink across my motherboard, most of it is not touching the board by about a millimeter. Is it possible to remove this protrusion, and if it is, is it necessary?

Thanks in advance!

This heat sink must but modified to fit on the gc. Flatten the bottom of the heat sink and remove the tabs on the side. I have seen people recommend using thermal adhesive for it. But if you have a way to push down on the board to put just enough pressure on the heat sink and not have anything move around you should be good with Arctic silver.

Thanks for replying!

Yeah, I already trimmed the metal tabs at the edge. I guess now I'll have to get rid of the metal at the bottom. Does anyone know how I could do this? Dremel? If so, which tip?

Also, my heatsink paste is Arctic Silver 5 (non-adhesive) so I guess I'll just use that, then secure the heatsink on with hot glue or crazy glue. Will that work?

Kanelot said:
Thanks for replying!

Yeah, I already trimmed the metal tabs at the edge. I guess now I'll have to get rid of the metal at the bottom. Does anyone know how I could do this? Dremel? If so, which tip?

Also, my heatsink paste is Arctic Silver 5 (non-adhesive) so I guess I'll just use that, then secure the heatsink on with hot glue or crazy glue. Will that work?
Cutting the extrusion out is tricky. Put some tape over the fan so the shards wont stick to the magnet and break the fan (I've done that before :(). I use to put it in a vice grip and sand it down with an angle grinder, but now I cut it with my cnc machine

Thanks for the fan advice, I'll be sure to cover it up. It would suck to break it :neutral2: . The only power tool I have for cutting metal is my dremmel though, so what dremmel tip would be optimal for the job? I'm not familiar with most of them. A sanding tip wouldn't work, right?

I don't know what the piece you're cutting looks like, but the cutting wheel is my weapon of choice, preferably one made for metal.

Back