What are the PERFECT specs?

snowpenguin said:
Get us a quote first and we'll see if it's even reasonable ::3:
i know. im in the process of doing just that. but it would make sense to ask for exactly what i/we want. ;)

You cannot commission custom LCDs. The equipment needed to make LCDs is model specific, and costs into the tens of thousands, so you need to have a large volume of LCDs to make it even remotely cost effective.

The problem is seriously not getting really, really nice screens, it is the price! I have a 5.6" 1280x800 panel with VGA, and I could sell them in the MR store for about $200, but I doubt anybody would be interested.

Not trying to be a killjoy... Just realistic. :p

uh, palmer, i dont think he's getting lcds made is he?

I thought he was just getting modules put together for him, with pre existing components.

LCDs are made in sheets, custom work The only other parts are the backlights, and the driver board. The screens he is asking for already exist, but they cost $200-300, and he is not going to be able to have them made any cheaper than that.

its not so much that im having them made. its that im in direct contact with the panel manufacturer. so getting the right panel should, in theory be cheaper than retail, or even wholesome. (buddies ROCK)

Nope. See, they can give a far better price to somebody who buys a large run of panels than they can to someone who buys very few. Plus, you still need a driver board! The LCD companies never deal in those, they just sell digital panels, and leave driving it up to other people for individual uses.

I would love if I was wrong, but I just do not think you will be able to get these panels at a decent cost.

Back