Integrated Controller to Switch Inputs, Control RGB LEDs

Hey guys,

Usually post more on Bacteria's forum but I'm starting to get a little tired of the way that site operates so I think I'll try to be more active on ModRetro from now on.

Anyway, I have a project in mind. Unlike my portable N64 which I didn't plan at all and ended up turning out relatively poorly (before bud got his hands on it!) because of it, I've decided I want to have ALL of my knowledge assembled beforehand this time around.

Right now, I just want to get some basic information on how I might go about using a microcontroller or even raspberry pi to control both RGB LED strips and 4 different video and power inputs. (All composite) Some background on my project is that it is a multisystem that will incorporate 4 different system motherboards in a modular array for a stylish and intuitive setup. I'm all about aesthetic so what I really really want to do is set up a circuit that will allow the LEDs on the system bezel to be controlled so that they change color depending on which system is in use. (Red for NES, Purple for SNES, Green or RedBlueGreenYellow for N64, different shade of Purple for Gamecube) The one REQUIREMENT for this array of LEDs is that it must be able to automatically switch to a single preset color depending on the system in use. The IDEAL functions for this array are the ability to control up to four colors on seperate RGB strips at once and visual effects like fade or pulse.

The other main function I want some help with is how to have a button control the LEDs, but also the power and input of the system the button corresponds to. Allow me to explain. My multisystem will have a built in composite switcher so that all I have to do is plug one cable into the TV and the actual cables just feed into the switcher, concealed inside the system. That being said, I will have 4 buttons on the top of the system to control which system is in use. I want these to be controlled by a microcontroller because that way, I don't need a push button system where if I were to press two in at the same time, the system might malfunction.

Long story short I need a way that, upon the push of 1 of 4 buttons, the RGB LEDs will load to a preset color(s) and the system will automatically power off the previous system, power on the desired system, and switch the input of the composite switcher.

Again, I'm just looking for general ideas here to get me on the right track but hey, if you know exactly what I need to do, that works too! ;) If you have any ideas or even a solution, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Nintendork

Back