Reverse engineering wiikey/WASP fusion

dark_samus

Soon there will come a time where WASPs, wiikeys and other drive replacements won't be manufactured anymore, so I think it's time we all got together and started research on getting our own drive replacement that we can reproduce at will, I currently don't have a wiikey or WASP to look at but so far I'm doing pretty good looking at pictures

I've also been tracing out a wiikey PCB
Current Progress
mj70bh6evpdf9y7zg.jpg

Physical Parts
I've currently identified the main parts that make this tick

ProASIC 3, this one is the main chip and is probably always pretty obvious what this chip was
SST25VF016B 16 Mbit SPI Serial Flash (datasheet here)

I believe that someone has already done the SD card reader, so that should be easy

Parts that need to be identified

the clock crystal's frequency (50 MHz?)
most of the capacitor values
Resistor values
A small 5 pin chip, I'm really not sure what it is EDIT: the more I look at it the more I think it's a voltage divider or something with the same purpose

Software
I'm not quite sure yet what this will entail. but we'll need a few things

The contents of the 16Mbit flash
The contents of the ProASIC 3 flash, if any
I believe that emu_kidid already has a lot of this information so hopefully it isn't too big of a deal

Programming
it seems we'll need one of the programmers for the ProASIC3 like this

If you have any information PM me or post it below

If you have any broken wiikeys/WASPs PM me, I might buy a few for the purpose of measuring components

i have already reversed the entire pinout...its a useless effort since the FPGA is locked down..
there is no way to simply dump the FPGA contents...
also the SPI flash has other special instructions in it that will be required if someone wanted to make their own WKF/WASP...not to mention it will be more expensive to make one than currently available prices...

we have already considered that WASP will not be available forever so an alternative is already in the works. Lots of progress has already been made...

dont worry, we got it all under control...
...no ETA on release...
...no details currently available...

since there is also a huge stock still on hand of WASP, there should be no need for concern of the "well drying up" anytime soon...

megalomaniac said:
i have already reversed the entire pinout...its a useless effort since the FPGA is locked down..
there is no way to simply dump the FPGA contents...
also the SPI flash has other special instructions in it that will be required if someone wanted to make their own WKF/WASP...not to mention it will be more expensive to make one than currently available prices...

we have already considered that WASP will not be available forever so an alternative is already in the works. Lots of progress has already been made...

dont worry, we got it all under control...
...no ETA on release...
...no details currently available...

since there is also a huge stock still on hand of WASP, there should be no need for concern of the "well drying up" anytime soon...

Hmm, alright, my only thoughts are about the FPGA being locked down, it isn't like they didn't distribute firmware updates so we should be able to flash those on right? Anyways hope it goes well and its great that WASPs aren't in low numbers, the GC community puts a lot of work into stuff, it never ceases to surprise me the amount of work you, Ashen, ShockSlayer, Tchay and everyone else puts in

yes there were updates but you need to understand how it all works together...
there are "three firmwares"....

1. the FPGA flash which handles directional IO
this is locked down by nature of actel..there is some article about hacking a proasic 3 is you have nothing to do and want something to read to understand we dont get anywhere with this...

2. a write protected section of SPI flash with firmware which ensures the ability to have a fail safe method to recover from a bad flash...this protected firmware also has some DVD command structures in it...

3. a writable section of SPI flash where the "WKF update firmware" gets written onto...when you flash WKF/WASP, the FPGA is sending the update information here to the writable section of SPI flash...

without the directional IO of the FPGA flash data and the write protected SPI data, you will not get very far into this project...its easier to start from scratch and make a custom modchip specifically for GC rather than try to continue producing a wii modchip that happens to mostly work with GC..

While WKF/WASP do work very well for GC, it will always lack certain abilities because it does not provide the proper returns expected from certain GC commands...

megalomaniac said:
yes there were updates but you need to understand how it all works together...
there are "three firmwares"....

1. the FPGA flash which handles directional IO
this is locked down by nature of actel..there is some article about hacking a proasic 3 is you have nothing to do and want something to read to understand we dont get anywhere with this...

2. a write protected section of SPI flash with firmware which ensures the ability to have a fail safe method to recover from a bad flash...this protected firmware also has some DVD command structures in it...

3. a writable section of SPI flash where the "WKF update firmware" gets written onto...when you flash WKF/WASP, the FPGA is sending the update information here to the writable section of SPI flash...

without the directional IO of the FPGA flash data and the write protected SPI data, you will not get very far into this project...its easier to start from scratch and make a custom modchip specifically for GC rather than try to continue producing a wii modchip that happens to mostly work with GC..

While WKF/WASP do work very well for GC, it will always lack certain abilities because it does not provide the proper returns expected from certain GC commands...

Hmm alright cool, thanks for clearing that up

I just started getting into gc modding, does anyone know where I can find Wiikey Fusions or Wasp Fusions for sale?

Exedra said:
I just started getting into gc modding, does anyone know where I can find Wiikey Fusions or Wasp Fusions for sale?

Right now there aren't any for sale but sometime (not exactly sure when) there will be over at badassconsoles.com you can check on twitter for it (you can get to the twitter page with badassconsoles.com)

modrobert runs eurasia.nu
....good guy and trustworthy to purchase from...

just keep in mind he sells WASP as is (untested) and does not pre-flash swiss onto WASP....
you will have to flash swiss yourself which means you will need a WBFS formatted card with a swiss iso, a FAT32 card with swiss firmware, and pin29 must be connected also just to perform initial flash procedure....

im not sure if he will flash swiss upon request but might be worth a try to ask to see if he will accommodate the request....
other than that, you can count on rob as a trusted seller....

As per my experience it is looking the Actel secure FPGA.
And you want the GC emulator which was done by CrazyNation.
Can you please post some more hardware details here related with your project?
Which FPGA you are using and what are the designing softwares?

HelsaBryan said:
As per my experience it is looking the Actel secure FPGA.
And you want the GC emulator which was done by CrazyNation.
Can you please post some more hardware details here related with your project?
Which FPGA you are using and what are the designing softwares?

This is dead... Not sure why people keep bumping this thread :p

Back