Raspberry Pi

I'd be curious if the OpenPandora N64 emulator works on this; last I saw it was getting up to a pretty good speed, if this is more powerful it could only do better. Dont use know jack about Linux though, so i dont know if just because they both are Linux-based then the programs would just work on both.

If I were to make a portable out of this I'd toss in a small trackpad in the bottom right corner, underneath the action buttons.

if we could get decent emulation on these things then we could actually get a n64 portable with more than two hours battery life

I don't see why N64 or PSX emulation is out of the question. The Pi sports a 700mhz arm CPU and a Videocore IV GPU, which does 2D/3D acceleration. (same as whats in a ipod touch 5g).

As with all things emulation, someone will have to code/port one to run on the specific architecture. The rest of us non code geeks just have to hope and wait.

what I'm saying is that Raspberry Pi and OpenPandora both run off ARM Linux. I can't think of a reason why the Pandora n64 emulator build can't work at least as well as it does on the Raspberry Pi

OpenPandora uses ARMv7 and ARMv4t
Rasberry Pi uses ARMv6

we might not need a port!!!

N64oid for Android requires an ARMv7 CPU, so not sure what that will do for porting that particular emulator/the ones it is based on. Another thing to note is that the CPU in the Pandora is roughly twice as fast per cycle compared to the one in the Raspberry Pi. I don't know how well the Pandora emulates N64, but my Samsung Fascinate has the same CPU and it only runs the usual fast games (SM64, SSB, Mario Kart) at a playable speed, most games are slower and on the border of being playable. So take away half of the speed and who knows.

A "N64 Portable" that just emulates N64 is silly to me. Kind of goes against the whole point of portablizing.

Didn't they say in the FAQ that it has about the same specs as an original XBOX, but with better graphics?

I think Ashen's right, here. I don't see why N64 or even PSX would be impossible.

@ Zero: it's silly to have a portable that can potentially run for more than 3 hours?

@ buttcheaks: from what I've heard about n64 emulation it's not the actual 3d rendering that's the problem it's the n64 architecture; it's super unique, and a 64 emulator has to translate this real time, which is why it's hard to get full speed on systems that are stronger than the n64 itself

Diminuendo said:
@ Zero: it's silly to have a portable that can potentially run for more than 3 hours?
No I don't think that is what he meant by that. I think what he meant was it sorta defeats the point to have a portable of a n64 that isn't really an n64.

superben51 said:
Diminuendo said:
No I don't think that is what he meant by that. I think what he meant was it sorta defeats the point to have a portable of a n64 that isn't really an n64.

^ This

Otherwise I might as well just use my phone. There is a reason all the "LOL JUST USE A PSP" commenters get told off, whether it be for a NES or N64 portable.

Anything that is 'emulating' is not a real portable, doesn't mean it isn't usable of course.

Diminuendo said:
I dont feel this is the same thing; I feel this is closer to using a gamecube portable to emulate n64.

The issue isn't whether it's custom built or not. It's still emulation (and on that hardware, not even truly accurate).

It can be totally playable, but you can't call it a "N64 Portable".

Apparently, the Raspberry Pi is equal to a 433mhz x86, if that's the case, this is definately not the N64 portable beater, real hardware is better.

On a barely related note:

I opened up my 2009 macbook to put in 4GB RAM and I couldn't help but notice that the motherboard was close to the size of a wii motherboard.

Shockslayer first brought up the notion of using PCs for even better portables to me a few months back. The main issue woud be cost, then the issue of battery life and storage.

BUT if you found a cheap android motherboard with a good N64 emulator that was able to accept some sort of USB to N64 controller input, then you could potentially play N64 games on inside of a gameboy advance housing, or perhaps GBA SP housing.

Would it technically be an N64 portable? No. Would anyone ever know the difference or even care? Probably not :p

AND you could potentially have an insanely small portable WITH batteries for once.

Given that N64 emulators still have a lot of trouble with some games, I'd say plenty of people would be able to tell the difference.

grossaffe said:
Given that N64 emulators still have a lot of trouble with some , I'd say plenty of people would be able to tell the difference.

Well I'm saying, when the emulation is good, you wouldn't be able to notice a difference. I just watched a youtube vid of someone playing mario 64 and zelda OoT full speed with sound on their phone. And that video was made a year ago too.

Designing a controller/case for my Galaxy Note at the moment. Just updated to ICS, which has stopped my PS3 controller working with it though so i might have to go back to the drawing board :cry:

Back