Raspberry Pi

Yes, but it's entirely reasonable. Different forum section, several pages back. Last post MONTHS ago. Don't worry.

Can't wait for this thing. The XBMC port is gonna be legendary. I'll probably spend all my money on these things.

I have a sudden desire to learn to program exceptionally better than I ever will.

This thing + emulators = godly.

I'm thinking very much in the home automation range for this. Put one of these in a wall-box in every room of a house, hardwired through a network.
Have a central server for games, videos, music, and such, as well as a home intercom setup.

At a $40 price-point, they would be amazing for this purpose. You could have a computer controlled house (and a computer in every room) for likely around $2000 + $50-$150 a room.

Combine this with a wireless controller and a wireless hdmi transmitter, and you can have something truly kickass.

ttsgeb said:
I'm thinking very much in the home automation range for this. Put one of these in a wall-box in every room of a house, hardwired through a network.
Have a central server for games, videos, music, and such, as well as a home intercom setup.
This seems like a great idea. Or I can finally realize my dream of a 1 TB PMP!

Base model is $25, upgraded one with an ethernet port is $35. Not too sure where you got $40 from.

Been following this for ages, ever since it was the size of a USB stick, glad they made it a tad bigger. Have the strange urge to make a £100 cluster out of 4 of them. Would be basically useless but rather cool to have sitting there. Might use it for folding@home.

ShockSlayer said:
If I ever get an urge to portablize one of these, I'm painting the case pink and calling it the Pinkie Pi.

SS
Best. Portable. Ever.

This could make a very good media server that could easily fit in a backpack..
Just use a Bluetooth or wifi adapter, a battery, and an sd card or a flash drive

Umpc, dude. They can run Ubuntu on it.

That combined with what may be a plethora of embedded software built for it could mean a device that can take on any number of purposes with the swap of an sd card, and properly supported hardware.

I don't know how useful it will be for emulation, though, because although it can run 1080p video, the fact that it's hardware decoded may mean that it would struggle with anything past the maybe the snes or genesis.

Even I would be keen to make a portable pi for that price. It's like a PC and arduino had a tasty baby.

Hmm. How much would it cost (correct me if I'm wrong)? :
Dalian Good Display - 95$
Raspberry Pi Model B - 35$
OKW Softcase - Free Sample or 26$ (Not sure if it would fit? 6.9" Diagonal, but I don't know the dimensions of a display)
Input method - ? (No idea what to use in a portable one of these, anyone know of a nice, mini keyboard?)
Batteries - 40$ or so

Around 200$ Ish for a Pinkie Pi
Not bad.

Keep HDMI out, and use RCA for the display.

I'd probably go with one of the 4.3" ebay screens, and build a wrist computer instead. case would be 100% custom, probably PVC or something.

Been wanting one for awhile now.

SS

Back