Raspberry Pi 3 n64 reading real carts?

Jacobbbb

Newb
Essentially what I am trying to accomplish with my minimal knowledge of modding is to take an original n64 shell and put a raspberry pi 3 or somehow fit a mini itx pc in it so it is able to run various other emulators and whatnot but to also be able to read real n64 carts and to use the original board's controller ports to make the n64 experience more realistic and genuine. Is this a possible mod? Why or why not? I haven't seen anything like this and I figured there wouldnt be any general size constraints as the inside of the n64 is quite big. In addition if anyone knows how I could pull this off please let me know!

It's realistic, but it's not a beginner's project. You'd basically be building the same kind of device which dumps the ROM from the cart, which is how pretty much every ROM online started out.

Here's how one guy did his. Then you'd have to figure out how to interface it with the Raspberry Pi's OS in real time, and then to the emulator. Saving/loading is another problem altogether. It's the kind of thing that you'd probably want a degree in electrical and/or computer engineering for.

Back