Quick question about RCP

ßeta was referring to the L and R audio thing. The voltages are needed for 3.3v, but I'm not 100% sure the 12v (7.4v) ones are. I'm pretty sure the N64 ran its cartridges on 3.3v only, and that the 12v was for the EXT slot/ potential games that may have needed it but never did. I have RCP'd 1 time, and hated it. It was simple enough to do but annoyingly tedious. I did hook up 1 of the 12v lines just to be sure, but never tested without.

It'd more or less just a precautionary measure. It's not like it'll kill you to run one or two more wires.

Basically, you should wire one extra wire rather then having to go back and do it later if it doesn't work. RCP wiring is a little finicky from what I've heard, so being cautious is a good policy.

Okay, before I get started, should I even attempt to RCP wire it in the first place? :neutral2:

Depends. I can get a n64 pretty Dang small without it. It just depends on the type of portable you want. Do you want something ridiculously small, or something moderately small but with more features? You can have ridiculously small and fully featured, but you got to have mad skills.

Bud: I'm not going for the world's smallest or anything, just something that can be comfortably carried / used.

Bush: That's cool, but I don't see how that would help :confused:

My JB-64 is very small and comfortable.

About the tape, it can be used to cover up the pins of the RCP so you can solder to them one at a time with less chance of bridging.

budnespid said:
My JB-64 is very small and comfortable.

About the tape, it can be used to cover up the pins of the RCP so you can solder to them one at a time with less chance of bridging.

I'm just afraid I'm going to fry the board... I don't want to have to buy another N64 :sweat:

Is the chance of *Link'n* your board really that high?

Just tested it, duct tape can do the same thing. As long as you don't leave the iron on the pin for too long.

If you put flux on the pins, you need to literally try to bridge them for it to happen. Wires pretty much don't with enough flux.

Protip- If you're a righty, solder the pins from left to right, and vise-versa for lefties.

Back