ps2 light green for 1 second then red

spazmoid

hi i have this problem (as described with my ps2 790003
now before jumping to conclusions it is not the standard fuse problem as it works fine when the power jack is plugged in normally.
this problem occurs when i put my LM2577 step up unit into the circuit between the power jack and the ps2. i'm using a dc step up unit, this one :http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QRBZ8RQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
i was testing it and it was outputting around 8.3 volts, well within the ps2's limits
any ideas on a fix or at least an alternative?

for context i was doing this to test it to see if it would work to step up a 3.2volt battery to the ps2's voltage but with it not working im at a dead end.

edit: here are it's "specs" see if any of these would affect it:
Modules nature: Non-isolated step-up (Boost)
Rectification: Non-synchronous rectification
Input voltage: 3.5V-35V
Output voltage: 5V-56V (Must ensure that set the output voltage is higher than the input voltage)
Input current: 3A (max),Rated current:2A

thanks in advance :D

At peak, the PS2 draws about 35W.
To get that out of a 3.2V battery you need to draw at least 10A, 5x what that step-up can provide (and probably well over what the max draw on that battery is).

i thought the power draw was much lower than that?
i thought it pulled around 2A on average but if it were 35W then it would pull about 4A on its standard power adapter. Or is it just a spike of 35W with a lower general operating power draw?

The un-scientific numbers I got from the internet suggested that it would draw 30-35W in-game.
Regardless, your setup couldn't even provide 10W, which is why your PS2 won't boot.

well thanks for the info i'm gonna get another 10,000mah cell and put them in series which should remove that issue.

You might still have trouble with a step up not providing enough power anyway. What kind of battery do you have that supplies 3.2V? I thought Li-Ion/Li-Po supplied 3.7V.

Back