OBDp, or On Board Diagnostics for Portables WIP

Re: OBDp, or On Boad Diagnostics for Portables WIP

Thank you ;)

I've done about 10 chip flashes so far.

One thing of note when making the cable, the cable shouldn't be very long. I made mine wwaaayy too long, on top of using big wire, so I run into some verification issues about 90% of the time - when making your cable, if the program flashes but verification fails or AVRDude reports changes in fuses, thus far ignoring those prompts has given me good results - program itself has flashed 100% fine each time.

Shouldn't have these issues if the cable is good and short, say no longer than a foot, foot and a half to be on the safe side. (Mine's 4 feet long :wtf: )

Instructions? Is this the one from that instructable? I know it's so simple you don't really need instructions though. Did you use resistors? Do I talk too much?

You know, the ATmega48/88/168/328 has 6 ADC lines.
I mean, it's always going to be cheaper and smaller than the 128.

Seriously though, the '128 is a BEAST, especially for an application like this...
And I know you know that :p

I don't want to sound like I'm just trying to work this project my own way, I just wanna put everything out there that I see.

I will of course never deny that with something like the '128, you have room to expand so many times over.
You can do absolutely phenomenal things with one of these things, especially with the space they offer. :awesome:

Of course, the most important thing remains:
Puwease keep your code portable :(

XCVG said:
Instructions? Is this the one from that instructable? I know it's so simple you don't really need instructions though. Did you use resistors? Do I talk too much?

I'm really rather upset with Instructables right now. The site concept is great, but I'm not paying 25 dollars a year for 10 lines of code. :wtf: In any case, yes, I used Instructables, which really only ended up sending me to another site entirely for the pinout, which was another annoyance. Thankfully, everyone will have a much better guide here.

I did not use resistors, as my breadboard power supply will never see above 5v. If for whatever reason when you are doing this project you use above, say, 5.5v or so, you need those 1K resistors on each line (other than ground.) Just use a 7805 regulator to cut the voltage down for the chip.

No, you don't talk too much. More questions asked, the more answered, the more successful this project shall be!

jleemero said:
You know, the ATmega48/88/168/328 has 6 ADC lines.
I mean, it's always going to be cheaper and smaller than the 128.
Seriously though, the '128 is a BEAST, especially for an application like this...
And I know you know that :p
I don't want to sound like I'm just trying to work this project my own way, I just wanna put everything out there that I see.
Of course, the most important thing remains:
Puwease keep your code portable :(

Yes, the '128 is way too much power for this project - but, with the breakout board that will be supplied, it will be very small and already wired for programming and installation, and leaves plenty ok insanely plenty of room for expansion in the future. As I mentioned in the project overview, a possible addition to this project would be an in-case LCD driven by the processor that would display information, with no need for connectivity to a PC. Since not all portables would look good, or have room, for even a small LCD, a separate device could be assembled easily that could plug into the mini-USB connector and read information that way, also without the need for a PC.

The great thing about the AVR structure is that the code is extremely easy to port, as I'm sure you know. Since for now I'm not doing anything overly complicated, there shouldn't be much in the way of processor-specific functions.

I've been using C so far, but I'll be moving back to Assembly once I begin work on the main structure of the diagnostic module - as much as C does for a programmer in keeping up with other areas of code, Assembly is just so much easier to deal with when working with micros. What language do you use?

And please, continue giving me input - it's nice to have someone on this forum who has experience with these things giving feedback and ideas. Kind of like House and his crew, only we're all House. :lol:

Instructables is a waste of money. I liked them better when they were free. :rolleyes:

Basement_Modder said:
Instructables is a waste of money. I liked them better when they were free. :rolleyes:

I KNEW I wasn't insane when I told myself they were free once.

That's ok, I'm writing the guide now - should have it up either later tonight or tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

Instructables costs money now? :(

WTF were they thinking? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

That sucks. Oh well, I can always post stuff here.

XCVG said:
Instructables costs money now? :(

WTF were they thinking? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

That sucks. Oh well, I can always post stuff here.
Since when has instructables started charging? Also, I'll admit, I do not understand this project one bit :oops:

eurddrue said:
Since when has instructables started charging? Also, I'll admit, I do not understand this project one bit :oops:

I'm not sure when they did, but they are now. You can get a free account that will let you see more than one pic per step of the article, but if you need a .pdf or any other file hosted on the site you need to buy a membership.

And don't worry about not understanding the project. I'm writing easy-to-follow (I hope) guides for each step of the project as I do them, and everyone is more than welcome to ask questions, of course. Feedback, feedback, feedback, people! :)

Instructions for building the DAPA cable and flashing the microcontroller edited into first post.

I would like to take this time to mention a major flaw in the Instructable: it is implied that once you select Tools -> [WinAVR] Make All, Programmer's Notepad will flash the chip. Not so. :wtf: Another reason why this one is so much better!

If anything needs to be made clearer, please let me know!

About the cable, you said it shouldn't be more than 2 feet in length because of noise. Could I squeeze out a little more length by using shielded cable, like A/V cable?

Well, as I said before, mine's 4 feet long and it works, kind of. If you use shielded cable, it may help, but length is really the issue.

What do you mean, "works, kind of" Does it not program properly, or only some of the time?

It programs all of the time (thus far, and at this point I think I've done 20 flashes with it,) it just gives me verification and fuse issues. It's not THAT big a deal, but so far large programs have failed each and every time with it, so I need to make sure it's not something wrong with the cable or something wrong with what I'm trying to code.

robm said:
I've been using C so far, but I'll be moving back to Assembly once I begin work on the main structure of the diagnostic module - as much as C does for a programmer in keeping up with other areas of code, Assembly is just so much easier to deal with when working with micros. What language do you use?
I personally am a C/C++ nut (C for MCUs of course).
I've yet to actually learn any ASM, as I've yet to need it.
I'm sure I'll pick up some version of it eventually, maybe take a course so it keeps my interest. (Interest == I PAID FOR THIS I'M STAYING)

I went to college for computer programming in assembly, COBOL, java, c, c++, and a few others, but didn't quite make it to the degree (ran out of money so they gave me the boot). I may be of some assistance but I highly doubt it.

Neildo_64 said:
I went to college for computer programming in assembly, COBOL, java, c, c++, and a few others, but didn't quite make it to the degree (ran out of money so they gave me the boot). I may be of some assistance but I highly doubt it.

Thanks for the offer! You'd be amazed how relatively simple it is to write code for these, once you get around the vagaries of writing code for microcontrollers. I may have a question regarding some rather basic C syntax, if I decide to stick with that language (though I doubt it - I'm beginning to detest it.)

I've wanted to get into microcontrollers for ages now, but I just blew all my availible money on a screen.

XCVG said:
I've wanted to get into microcontrollers for ages now, but I just blew all my availible money on a screen.
I am having a yard sale tomorrow, and I usually make $200-300 on my old junk. I don't have to worry 'bout funding anymore. :mrgreen:

Back