Need help making Wii homebrew to power USB relays.

Hi. I have a Wii, n64 combo console that I'm looking to make better. Currently when you want to play n64 you have to get up and turn it on. I'd like to make a homebrew channel I'd like to call n64 launcher. Basically, I'd like for it to activate a relay at launch and put the Wii into an energy save mode. An auto sensing a/v switcher will do the rest. I'd like to be able to reset it by pressing a button on Wii remote, switch back to Wii with n64 on by pressing home, and off by pressing and holding a and trigger. I can draw a schematic for how the relays need to work but on the software side, I'm clueless.

That's quite a bit of work... I'd imagine you'd need to make an application that can communicate with a micro-controller over USB serial. I don't know how efficient a "power saving" feature would be for the Wii because it was never meant to have something like that. I can see most of everything happening something like this:

lmsgc.png

So this means you'd have to be writing code for both the micro-controller and Wii. Here's a place you can start for the Wii side: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Making_homebrew

And for a micro-controller: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HomePage

As far as I know nobody has made an application for the Wii that utilizes serial communication over USB, so I'd ask around on a Wii homebrew forum and see if someone is willing to help you out with that.

They actually sell a USB relay that is basically programmed. I would just need to find a way to port the driver to Wii I think.

Also they sell an a/v 2 channel switch with one channel set as priority, so when the n64 came on, it will automatically switch channels.

So, relay one will be normally open for n64 power, and when activated, no other action is needed.

Reset is relay two http://www.audon.co.uk/user/products/large/dlpior4.jpg

Ah, that makes it easier. Porting a driver would probably be the hardest part, but I'm not exactly sure how hard. Still one heck of a project though, and it being so software-heavy and all I think you'd find better success on a homebrew forum.

I was told the software that runs them is pretty simple. The relays close using the USB power and a simple on or off signal. There are quite a few different types though.

I've emailed a few companies hoping to get a better idea of how they work and posted on wiibrew forums. I'm hoping for good news. If a Wii can operate an external HDD then a relay can work as well.

The Wii doesn't really have a sleep mode... Seems like that is standard with most electronics these days.

...I had somethingelse to write here but really? No sleep mode? I don't think it would have to be a passive stand by if a holding circuit was used but then it would have to operate a third relay at start up to turn off the n64.

Or I could just get a wireless controlled relay and mount the controller and additional buttons in a wireless gamepad. That I could do, but wouldn't be as cool.

Oh they just get activated by the presence of +5v? That could be very good or very bad, depending on if you can control the USB port voltages, which now that I think of it I don't believe is possible because they're connected directly to the on-board regulator... Anyway, a wireless controlled relay would cut out the need for Wii homebrew, and you could just get like a car keyfob style remote and replace the wiimote's wrist strap with that.

No I believe there powered by 5v but take a simple data signal to actuate the relays.
I really think it wouldn't be to hard but I'm not a software guy.
Yeah I was thinking something along the same lines of the key fob just integrated into a controller. As soon as I can I'll post pics. It was ridiculously labor intensive to make this console, and I just haven't seen anything like it elsewhere. It takes a Wii, a retrode( for direct compatibility of SNES and genesis cartridges,) and a 64. The 64 just taps off of the GameCube controllers so I don't have extra ports on it. SD port, controller ports, a/v, power and Wii bar all relocated off of Wii into GameCube. A trimmed Wii drive and a viper top case brings this thing together and the whole thing looks like a GameCube with a 64 and SNES player add on. Its a matter of prestige to have the Wii control the n64. There's actually still some room in this case for more junk lol.I was thinking 2.4ghz receivers for wireless controllers.

Wow that's REALLY small for four systems! Have you posted it anywhere on the forums yet? I'm sure it'd attract a lot of attention.

Really its just the two systems. The Wii and 64. The retrode just allows the Wii to read the ROM from cartridges, so its emulation. I don't have the genesis port in the actual console, its an add on I haven't added yet, but I will at some point.

I barely learned about the forums. Previously I had googled various stuff but I have a friend that helped me a lot ( mostly to drink my beer and use my tools lol) I never thought about joining, it seemed like something that was beyond me, but I see there's a lot of people like me on here. People that have ideas and don't know how to fully implement them.

Thanks in advance to all the people in here, that give advise, even though some questions are already explained elsewhere. That same person asking dumb questions may end up doing something I'd be like, hey.. How did you do that! Lol

Well after some searching I came across a forum post that talked about interfacing with the wii usb ports. It seams that libogc has serial read and write capabilities, which you could use to talk to the arduino to switch the analog signals.

I ran a quick search on libogc read and write capabilities an there are quite a few forums. It will take some digging.. I've limited time at the moment, and most of my searching is on my mobile. I need my computer back!! Lol. I'm buying a house and am moving at the moment. I never really believed on laptops. Doh!

I think a relay may be a bit overkill, relays are ment to control hige voltage. I'm thinking we could get away with using 2 transistors and 2 I/O pins, or 3 transistors and 1 I/O pin of a microcontroller. I recommend using an ATTINY85 with V-USB installed. The ATTINY85 is like a $1.50 or less. One sec Ill draw up a schematic.

I think your right about the I/o pins, but being an electrician, my mind is more comfortable with contacts. (The devil you know, so to speak)12v in a relay seems pretty miniscule compared to its rated capacity, and in my mind I think that equals longevity. Of course that isn't necessarily the case.
They also had USB controlled I/o boards that I kinda overlooked.

What would be easier would be installing an IR sensor, and just having that sensor trigger either transistors or relays that switch the systems. You could easily mod an IR led to go inside the Wii remote (it already has a filter specifically for IR), or another controller (drilling a tiny hole) and use that to control switching the system. You wouldn't need to get up. You wouldn't even need to navigate any menus. At any time, push a button, and it changes systems.

http://hackaday.com/2012/02/13/wireless ... o-systems/

I've been contemplating doing this mod to my controllers for awhile.

I do have a question though.

If I used resistors on the data lines inside the controller before the transmitter, then wire the reciver to the common points on the n64, then theoretically I only need one receiver for all four controllers.

The question lies in how to change the resistance in the controllers so I can change controller assignments. Or would I overload the receiver.

The ir receiver would mean I'd be able to see it to n the console, then if someone set a cup in front of it... No worky.

OK I was really excited about making wireless controllers and adding the extra functions I wanted, but I'm seeing that the analog stick ends up as a button press... As in no analog. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Either way I'm kind of excited to learn to work with microcontrollers.

Back