Wiikey acting really strange

Blargaman91

Right now I'm trying to get a Wiikey Fusion to work on my Wii. When in the disc channel, whether there's an SD card in the slot or not, it will say "Please insert a disc". Pressing the eject switch does nothing. Behavior doesn't change with or without the DVD drive connected.

When you plug the Wii's power up after installing the Wiikey, the red light doesn't come on. Pressing the power button on the console or Wii remote turns it on, yellow light comes on, but the red one's just not there. 3 Wiikeys all known to have been working previously provide the same results.

I just got the Wii I'm using second hand and it seems to be a very early revision. I didn't catch the motherboard revision when it was apart but at the moment I'd just like to know if anyone else has experienced this.

I don't remember what firmware was on any of them. Could be 1.2, 1.5, Swiss. I have tried using an SD card with 1.2 recovery and that didn't do anything.

Try it with a different board to troubleshoot and figure out if it is the wiikey or the board

different firmware versions act differently...
you should verify what firmware you have on the modchips...

also, 1.2 recovery will ALWAYS load....
are you sure the wii was previously working? can you remove the WKF and install a drive and test to confirm the data lines are not blown on the Wii ??

are you using a WKF SD slot with the WKF ( not a WASP sd slot with WKF )

I am sure they were all previously working BUT now they won't load. As if the Wii corrupted them.

On the problem Wii, neither the DVD drive (through the Wiikey) nor the SD card loads. On another Wii though, the DVD drive does work while SD doesn't.
DVD drive works on its own on both Wiis.

I'm using a Wiikey SD slot but with the slot itself replaced.

I need to make a recovery SD card because my last one didn't work right. I thought I knew how to do it but WinImage won't recognize any SD cards...

some firmware versions you need to insert SD card then remove SD card then hit eject then insert SD card and hit eject again...
its all screwy...
it also depends on if your WKF settings is set to WKF:on or WKF:off

i remember testing different methods to try to write 1.2 recovery on SD card but none worked except for DD.exe as indicated in the 1.2 recovery directions...
so if you dont use DD or fail to create the card properly as a CDFS image, WKF/WASP will not boot the recovery as expected.

and remember after you boot recovery you need to:
use pin29 switch on GC to trigger SD loading
use eject switch to wii to trigger SD loading
and firmware behavior will depend on WKF:on/off setting

so, it be best to confirm your firmware version or use 1.2 recovery to start with a known version...

I am pretty convinced now that my Wii is incompatible with Wiikey. No, it's harmful to Wiikey. All three Wiikey's I've tried now fail to work on any system whereas they certainly worked before.
Recovery doesn't work, nothing does.
They're dead...

I don't have a GC to plug them into. I just figure any Wiikey is more compatible with an unmodified Wii than a GC.

Back