Wii Power Help

James.C

Hey guys, for my final physics project, I am running a wii off of AA batterys. The battery pack I have created has a total voltage of 13.3V, and the cells are 2300 mA rechargeable. When I connect power to the wii through a dismantled cord from a 3rd party power supply, the wii's light turns red. When it trys to turn on however, it simply stays on the red LED. Why would this be?

Link to your batteries, maybe a picture of how you have them wired?

Are you using a voltage regulator or anything? I remember a while back I was trying to power my wii with batteries, and I had a switching regulator, but didn't realize it only had a maximum output current of 1 amp.

Do your batteries have a max discharge current? In case you don't know what this means - here's a random example, let's say you have a battery powered circuit. V=IR, so if you had a voltage of 20 and a resistance of .1, then theoretically your current would be 200A, but no battery can output that much current :p

Last edited:
fOxoS2G

I have them all wired with no regulator, so it all adds to 13.3 volts and would be wired like so. https://imgur.com/fOxoS2G
I can't find anything about a max discharge current, but is it not enough for the wii?

You have measured with a multimeter, I assume?

Also, huge red flag comes up, now that I see you have a bunch of batteries with different capacities. Have you researched the effects of this?

Unfortunately, my crappy little multimeter has a 200mA max read on it, so it's not giving me a current. Would the current be the problem?

I have not researched that fact specifically. Is it a bad idea?

Edit: Thankfully my house is still up. I will get batteries with same capacity.

It's not a good idea, I know it will cause them to charge and discharge unevenly. I can speculate all day but a proper multimeter will put these questions to rest.

Back