i3 clarkdale on a i5/i7 lynnfield socket

But if you spend that extra $80 now on something decent instead of essentially burning it, you're easily in i5 750 territory, which will last you for a few years combined with the other parts you've already selected. And unfortunately you'll probably lose a lot more than that in depreciation, especially on the Celeri3.

If you're not putting a ton of money into your GPU at the moment, that's fine. From the sound of it you don't want to run brand-new top-of-the-line games at ultra high settings anyway. Just don't cheap out on the CPU now or it's going to bite you in the ass and/or wallet later on.

That does make some sense but I'd rather skip the i5 and go straight to i7, if I'm planning to go to i7 then I'd loose more money upgrading from the i5 to i7, but that still depends on the market.

A lot of benchmarks from guru 3d and googling around say an i3 is about on par with an amd phenom x3, which is fine with me. I don't run any cpu intensive programs and not that many of my games are very cpu intesive, I do plan to get a nice gpu first, and at high settings the cpu doesn't matter as much for most games.

And if I can get half of what I pay now for my i3 a year from now, I'll be fine with that. Plus even the i3 can overclock to at least 3.6ghz. It's not like I plan to get an i7 a month from now.

With school starting I can only work every other saturday, I'm going to make $40 a month during the school year, it's going to take that long to get the i7 besides other stuff I spend money on. I don't plan to buy an i7 for a while, I'm not waiting and I'm not loosing a million dollars by not waiting, until I can get another job I'm not even going to be upgrading anything. An i7 is not my priority, but I'm getting the i3 so I don't have to upgrade the whole board later. I'm not getting the i7 for a long time, not until after a new graphics card when it makes a difference.

The whole point of this thread was to ask if the i3 would work with a p55 chipset, which it does in most cases, I'm not insane for not waiting a few months to buy a computer to save $60.

Back