i3 clarkdale on a i5/i7 lynnfield socket

No, it will not.

What matters is not only the socket, but the Chipset.

That board has an Intel P55 Express Chipset, which does NOT support the i3, only the i5 and i7.

Which is odd because I heard that with a bios update it would. Which would explain this board I found and seems to fit my needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...si site and that says it supports it as well.

I'm sure the MSI one will be fine then, after all, it says it supports it.
The cheapy BIOSTAR does not.

As far as I know, it will work, the only thing is that you won't be able to use the CPU's integrated graphics.

The reason I'm getting an i3 is so I don't have to get a new board when I upgrade to an i7 later.

Either way I think it's better than my amd sempron socket 4 1.7ghz single core processor.

Speaking from experience, buying cheap now with the intention of upgrading relatively soon is more expensive in the long run. (Plus until you have enough scratch to buy the good parts, you're left with junk.) Spend a little more now and get an i5 Lynnfield quad core. By the time you need to replace it the next generation of i5/i7s will be out.

Twilight Wolf said:
Pfft, Intel.

Go get a an Athlon II X4, at least. $99 and you get a high-quality quad-core.

FTFY :awesome:

AMD cuts corners with less efficient processor architecture and by skimping on CPU cache.

bic said:
Speaking from experience, buying cheap now with the intention of upgrading relatively soon is more expensive in the long run. (Plus until you have enough scratch to buy the good parts, you're left with junk.) Spend a little more now and get an i5 Lynnfield quad core. By the time you need to replace it the next generation of i5/i7s will be out.

Twilight Wolf said:
Pfft, Intel.
Go get a an Athlon II X4, at least. $99 and you get a high-quality quad-core.
FTFY :awesome:
AMD cuts corners with less efficient processor architecture and by skimping on CPU cache.

Right on all accounts.

Don't even bother touching the i3, just don't.

And AMD processors ARE CHEAPER FOR A REASON IT'S NOT MAGIC, AND INTEL ISN'T JUST ASSHOLES, INTEL PROCESSORS COST MORE, AND YOU GET MORE.
"Quad Core, 2.4GHz", and "Quad Core, 2.4GHz". Which is better? Derp Derp They're the Same Buy The Cheap One!
WRONG. There's a lot more numbers YOU ain't seeing because you don't actually know a Dang thing about this subject.

I'm already buying an 1156 socket so I'm not really worried about next gen processors, I can still sell the i3 later. I plan to order my computer on monday and i can't spend a penny more. In my opinion there will be nothing wrong with using an i3 for now and upgrading to i7-870 later. Either that or by then there will be better processors and boards out that I can get. Right now I just need a gaming rig that is upgradeable.

The only games I can run are games by valve that can turn down direct x to 8. Like tf2, and portal, everything is on low and I only get 30 fps max.

768mb ddr ram
amd 1.7ghz single core
50gb hdd (which by the way is literally ticking away with it's last seconds, it's pretty much screaming at me to let it die)
8400gs pci card (overclocked too)

The plan is to run the i3 computer with windows 7, 2gb ddr3, and a 4650 for now, then upgrade the ram, then gtx 460, then aftermarket coolers, then sell the i3 and get a new i7.

I doubt I'll even be able to afford the new hexacores with my budget. My computers going to cost $550 without the os, and during the school year I'll only be working every other saturday. Plus I'm going to start working on the wingman again, and that's a whole other story, my main upgrade is going to be an i7 then new gpu, that's about it for a while. Maybe like a year from now, then there's the southern island gpus coming out, and amds bulldozer.

For now I'm building a budget computer, otherwise I'll just save money and see what's out there, I'M GETTING 25 FPS IN TF2 ON DX8!

EDIT: I forgot to mention I can't watch youtube videos above 360P. Do you feel sorry for me yet?

Fine, get the i3, play TF2 at 60 FPS on medium settings, then, save your money, sell the i3 for $35, buy a now slightly cheaper i7, and be horribly outperformed by many, many people.

:)

Why buy the cheap stuff now, then the more expensive stuff later?

I say save up a bit more money, get the better parts now, and not waste your money upgrading later.

Its really a stupid plan. Your paying now for the low end parts,then are going to upgrade to higher end parts, losing money. Just save up some more and get the better parts and save money by doing that.

So basically this is a good way to lose money. :facepalm:

The i7-870 is not outperformed very high by other processors. The real numbers that matter are real world benchmarks.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-750-core-i7-860-870-processor-review-test/17

You can check the other pages and the 870 still competes with the 1366 socket cpus, and I'm building this computer for gaming, I have a 1900x1200 screen and at those resolutions what really matters is what's going on in gpu land. That's what I'm waiting for to upgrade.

The components that will be replaced are actually going to be replaced is the cpu, and the gpu, which totals to me losing probably $80 if I sold them within the next year, I don't mind losing that over the course of a year.

I'm not trying to run 3 monitors at a time with max settings on a game like metro 2033, you don't needs to spend $1500 on a computer to be capable of playing games, building your own computer for $550 is not an insane thing to do, granted it's not what most pc enthusiasts do but still, it can be done.

Back