First 3DS Flashcart

Zero

ModRetro Legend
Administrator
Looks like the first ever flashcart to play 3DS roms is coming out. From the video it looks like they're using a different micro sd card for every game, but I'm not sure if it'll be like that in the final product or if this was just their demonstration/proof of concept. Either way, it's interesting news.

http://www.gateway-3ds.com/products.html

Wonder how long it'll take for Nintendo to patch it. Wonder what sort of homebrew we'll see.

I'm here for homebrew, not for playing "backups" (not including games of previous generations). I'll only buy it if I start seeing programs.

ProgMetalMan said:
I'm here for homebrew, not for playing "backups" (not including games of previous generations). I'll only buy it if I start seeing programs.
Because DS homebrew was oh so promising.

Mako321 said:
Because DS homebrew was oh so promising.

Guessing last generation, homebrew programmers stuck with the more powerful PSP. As that's still sealed up tight, we'll hopefully see those programmers migrate to the 3DS.

The 3DS blows chunks and the games are too expensive so i'm here for "backups"

Finally.

ProgMetalMan said:

Yeah, then you'll be waiting for awhile it seems. From what it looks like so far, this tricks the 3DS into thinking there is a cart in, similar to an optical drive emulator like the Wii Key, but we're still waiting on confirmation of that I believe. I did find something about putting multiple games on one sd card so I'm not sure how they'll do that without some kind of homebrew menu to select the game.

Also, it's possibly shipping in the next couple weeks.

I'll wait. Hopefully they'll find a software exploit by then, save me the cash.

In a lot of ways, it is a worthless hack apparently:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-3ds ... on.340296/

tl;dr -

The cart is 1:1 allowing you to mimick a game, but you must use the correct size SD card, it cannot get passed region blocking, Nintendo WILL block out this card with a future update, homebrew is not possible on the gateway flash card.

NDS had some decent homebrew. I used mine as a media player for a while, it sucked but it was better than nothing. There were emulators, but the only ones I ever really used were the Neo Geo and GBC ones.

Tchay said:
The cart is 1:1 allowing you to mimick a game, but you must use the correct size SD card
Nope.

Some members keep stating that the flashcard (if real) will require one microSD for each game, and that the microSD needs to be of the same exact size of the ROM. GaryOpa (trusted member of the scene) directly debunks that here.
TSbpoat.png

Yeah I noticed that after posting. The other reasons for it being largely useless stand AFAIK.

We just have to wait to see what their "game manager" is. If it's software, then they could have found some way to run homebrew in 3DS mode, otherwise it could just be a hardware button that toggles through games or something.

Personally, I'm betting on it being homebrew that runs in DS mode, let's you select/mount a game, and when you go back to the 3DS menu your game will be loaded, but that's just a guess.

Zero said:
We just have to wait to see what their "game manager" is. If it's software, then they could have found some way to run homebrew in 3DS mode, otherwise it could just be a hardware button that toggles through games or something.

Personally, I'm betting on it being homebrew that runs in DS mode, let's you select/mount a game, and when you go back to the 3DS menu your game will be loaded, but that's just a guess.

That's probably spot on.

SS

Looks promising. I REALLY hope they scrap the spring-loaded SD card design though. I remember those were prone to breaking on the old R4DS cards.

I doubt its a DS mode exploit. DS mode is sandboxed, just like the PSP emulator on the PSVita. I've read enough technical stuff on wololo's site to know that exploiting 3DS mode from the sandbox is unlikely. It seems to me its a native 3DS exploit, in the video they just stuck the cart in and the game was recognized. They didn't have to do any other screwing around.

DS mode is sandboxed, but from DS mode you can go right back to the home menu. So I guess that the flashcart initially loads in DS mode, you can select your game, and then go back to the home menu(where the selected game then shows up.)

Granted I haven't updated my 3DS in forever and haven't kept up with the scene at all, so I'm not sure if it works that way or if it's more streamlined, but we're just guessing still. Video's likely just a proof of concept showing that they can load games.

SS

Yeah, it wouldn't run a 3DS mode exploit from DS mode. What I meant is that, assuming this thing is just a "cart emulator" type deal, the game selector would run in DS mode and just tell the hardware what game to mount. From there you go back to 3DS mode and play the mounted game, or turn it off to reset the process for a different game. Basically, similar to how it works on the Wii Key.

I hope that someday there's a Devolution equivalent so that I can play SM64DS with the circle pad.

Back