The "NEW" Nintendo 3DS

Mr.Mike

Nintendo just announced its upgraded version of the 3ds and they are calling it the New 3ds! It has a second circle pad (More like a nub but a representative said it was comfortable to use) ZL and ZR buttons, improved cpu and VRAM and other specs, better 3d viewing angles, micro sd slot on the back inside cover, amibo or NFC support, faster speeds all around, and the normal 3ds size has interchangeable covers! It is coming out in Japan on October 11th I believe and not until 2015 for Europe and the USA which really is a bummer!!! I cannot wait for this and its only August!!! I have the day one 3ds and will probably upgrade to the new xl...or new normal sized 3ds...not sure yet. There are a lot of articles online about this but here is a link...

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-just-announc ... 1628389333

Also it will have exclusive games such as Xenoblade Chronicles and has many more in the works!!! I think if it can handle a wii port then gamecube ports are inevitable!!! Which console ports do you hope for?!

I'm really intrigued by the New 3DS. Xenoblade Chronicles was a pretty impressive feat for the Wii, so I'm curious as to how it'll be on this updated handheld. I imagine they had to find a few more corners to cut to get it to run right.

the analog nub or whatever also has piqued my interest. I love using the mouse-nub on my laptop, so I think I'd transition to that nub pretty well, and the placement of it seems interesting in that you may still have some access to buttons with your thumb while also controlling that analog nub. Also, using the front-facing camera to track the user's head and adjust the 3D sweet spot accordingly is pretty nifty.

I'd been considering getting a 3DS in the future, so I'll definitely wait for this model to come out.

dat name tho

Seriously, I'm *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing sick of non-creative console names. Heck, Sony's the most rehashed of them all but I give them credit for using names that don't cause confusion.

ProgMetalMan said:
dat name tho

Seriously, I'm *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing sick of non-creative console names. Heck, Sony's the most rehashed of them all but I give them credit for using names that don't cause confusion.
New Super Nintendo 3DSi XL 9001-U

If older versions of a system can't play the new games, an obviously different name should be used. Makes life a little easier for grandparents when Christmas and birthdays come around.

ProgMetalMan said:
dat name tho

Seriously, I'm gingivitus-inviting sick of non-creative console names. Heck, Sony's the most rehashed of them all but I give them credit for using names that don't cause confusion.
I don't believe this is really meant to be a successor to the 3DS, but rather an update with a bit better hardware. Expect another handheld with a name that sets it apart from the 3DS a couple years down the line.

But the inability for the older system to play the newer versions games effectively makes the newer version its own system. The later PSPs had double the RAM of the original. Games made use of the extra memory, but could still be played on the original PSP. Just because the specs aren't increased much doesn't make up for the games not working on the original 3DSs.

The DSI had updated specs, and there were games released for it that could not be played on the DS

how many, you ask? Three.

The 3DS has sold over 40 million already, developers will not make exclusives unless the game demands it. Worst case scenario, most will market for the New 3DS in trailers but still release for both systems.

vskid3 said:
But the inability for the older system to play the newer versions games effectively makes the newer version its own system. The later PSPs had double the RAM of the original. Games made use of the extra memory, but could still be played on the original PSP. Just because the specs aren't increased much doesn't make up for the games not working on the original 3DSs.
the DSi also had games that only it could play that the DS could not. Similarly, Nintendo still considered the Gameboy Color to be a revision of the original Gameboy rather than a full successor, and it was on the market around 2.5 years before the GBA came in as a successor. The CGB had some crossover with the DMG where they came up with a way to create games compatible with the DMG, but also supported the use of color, I believe, on a per-pixel basis. (For comparison, the Super Gameboy was able to allocate different 4-color palettes to each 8x8 grid of the screen... that is unless the game was Space Invaders and actually included an SNES game buried in it that made full use of the SNES instead of just enhancing the gameboy's visuals).

Anyways, I imagine the New 3DS will be somewhere between DSi and CGB in that regards. Developers will want to make their for the larger user-base if possible, so it is to their advantage to make their games for the 3DS if the hardware is capable of delivering what they'd like to make, and then add in N3DS enhancements that improve the framerate or maybe have some higher poly-counts (not sure how reasonable it would be to include multiple models, but I guess we'll see), and make use of the analog nub and extra buttons. As Xenoblade shows, though, there will be some games that are only possible on the N3DS's hardware. I don't think it will be quite as obvious how to use the N3DS' hardware for enhancing 3DS games like it was for CGB enhancement of DMG-compatible games, nor do I think you'll see as many games that require the buffed hardware to meet the developer's vision.

Back