Cleaning CD's (For any console/PC) The cheap way!

Argelfraster

There is a simple way to cleaning CD's, DVD's and such that I learned in Israel.
1) Clean off the CD completely with Rubbing alcohol.
2) Put a dab of (white) toothpaste on (enough so it can cover the whole CD) Rub the toothpaste in from the inside out in straight lines.
3) Wait 5-10 minutes.
4) Clean off the toothpaste with rubbing alcohol.
5) Done.
Hope this helps :D

I'm Jidan and I approve of this method :)

I use that to fix my older Gamecube disks. Works great. Although note that you don't want to use the mint kind of toothpaste or anything...

Like with this kind, you want to get only that white part:
toothpaste-pricy.jpg

At least, that's what I remember reading. :)

mako321 said:
Doesn't always work, won't for some of my games with bigger scratches.

It's for surface scratches that don't penetrate the layer of the CD that holds that data.

TheNineRings said:
Use peanut butter. It always works. Just be certain to get all of the gunk off of it.

Peanut Butter? As in the yummy delicious family fun time snack Peanut Butter? o.O

Huh, toothpaste. I've heard of peanut butter and Brasso, but never toothpaste. I'll get some toothpaste and try this out on my non-working Halo and SOCOM discs (XBOX and PS2 respectively).

Heh, weird. I tried toothpaste on my old pair of glasses back in 2006 and I was forced to get new ones.

After using this method you will still see the scratches,
They are just filled with tiny amounts of toothpaste so the CD continues to work.

I hope this works. I really want my copy of super monkey ball to work. There's no other copy anywhere in town. :(

I hope this works. I really want my copy of super monkey ball to work. There's no other copy anywhere in town. :(

This did not work for me. In fact, it kept my disc from reading at all. I didn't clean it and tried it, basing it on the assumption that it fills the scratches. No dice. I cleaned it off with alcohol, and at least it loads now, but still doesn't work. I sort of did it wrong, I guess. However, I'm not sure if it's fair to blame it on the process. The disc is REALLY scratched. I don't know if even a resurfacing would fix it.

While we're on the subject, do those "CD Magic/DVD Doctor/DVD Wizard/whatever they're called" kits (the ones in the little box you see in video stores) actually work?

My copy of Super Monkey ball has absolutely NO visible scratches on it, but it won't boot at all. This didn't help.

I raged and broke the disc in half.

I have a CD Doctor I bought back in the 90's, and it works great. I've run some absolute flax discs through it, and a few needed two or three treatments, but they ended up working perfectly. I just wish I hadn't loaned it to my brother.

Oh, one of those cleaner things? I'm thinking of a different product, Dang stupid confusing names!

Apparently this is a CD doctor, but it might also be this!

What I'm thinking of comes in a little box with a cloth, some solution, and "deep scratch remover". Funny thing is I can't remember the name now, so I was just guessing.

I feel stupid.

Yeah, I've got a hand crank one. I've got a tube of stuff I bought at the hardware store that works far better than toothpaste, too. It's called Scratch Out!. Toothpaste didn't fix one DVD my dog had walked across and kicked around one day, but this stuff did.

Back