Cheese's first GCP worklog

Question. Is it easier to desolder the DD connector and solder into the holes, or leave to connector on and solder to the pins sticking out of the connector on the bottom of the board?
Because my soldering iron has kind of a HUGE ASS tip and I keep burning the wires plastic/rubber coating :cry4:
I HATE THE SMELL OF BURNING RUBBER, SMELLS LIKE SH*T!!!
2pq9uud.jpg

That is an industrial wattage iron home dog. You need to pick up a pencil iron.15-40 watts should be enough. If money is tight, go by Walmart and look in the automotive section, where they have the switches, connectors, wires and bulbs,there should be a pretty good iron made by 3M for around 5 bucks.

unicycler17 said:
That's a soldering gun. You need a soldering iron. Take off the connector and solder to either side.
How should I go about removing the port? Do I need to buy one of those sucker thingys? Also, I was going to try to buy a new soldering iron because that thing is big as Heck, and I've burned myself about 5 times in the two weeks i've had the Dang thing (i got it for free!) :mrgreen:
budnespid said:
That is an industrial wattage iron home dog. You need to pick up a pencil iron.15-40 watts should be enough. If money is tight, go by Walmart and look in the automotive section, where they have the switches, connectors, wires and bulbs,there should be a pretty good iron made by 3M for around 5 bucks.
I also have a battery powered one but it eats batteries like my turtles eat flax (if you don't know, that is in like 5 seconds of it being flax out of the other turtles ass :trollface: ) Is there a way to wire it up to like a 9 volt plug thingy?
Also thanks for responding within like 5-10 minutes of me posting the question :dahroll:

nukear said:
Just rip it out. With pliers or something.
Then it leaves behind a bunch of little stubs and stuff like that.I thought about that and kinda did that to a couple too many ports already..
IDK, I wanted to leave the port on there (or at least re-attachable) until I get my wiikey wired and working.

nukear said:
Then just solder to the back of the board.
:( I don't want to unless I absolutely have to. I'm not that good with soldering irons.
Please don't ask why I chose a portable GC when I'm not good at soldering, because I chose to do it because I had a couple extra GCs laying around

Um, if you are ok with the front, you'll be fine on the back. They are pretty much the same.

nukear said:
Um, if you are ok with the front, you'll be fine on the back. They are pretty much the same.
BUT with desoldering the Dang connector, you then get through hole thingys to solder to.

cheese said:
nukear said:
BUT with desoldering the Dang connector, you then get through hole thingys to solder to.
Yes desolder (or rip) the plug off then stick the wire through the hole and solder. Though you might want to to solder under the board.

Crazy Inventor said:
cheese said:
nukear said:
Yes desolder (or rip) the plug off then stick the wire through the hole and solder. Though you might want to to solder under the board.
yeah, I already soldered up the IDE wire to the bottom of the board, with the connector still in tact! As time goes by, they broke off...
also on the computer i'm using now, the site looks different, maby because it has a flaxty ass yellowy tinted backight backlight, oh well.
stupid *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing acer, grumble grumble...
:trollface: lololol

Ahh... I got a bit sidetracked, but I am back (and I intend to finish this time)! :oops:
Today I soldered in the audio amp that I salvaged from an old iPod speaker thingy that I never used. (I had a fun time with a screwdriver, my shoe, and the plastic around the speakers! :twisted: )
I am now wondering where I can potentially hijack 4.5-5 volts (for the amp) from the Rev C Gamecube (uncut with no custom regulator)... Anyone know?

Back