Cartridge copier?

Caredo

http://modthis.com/2008/09/24/retro-con ... r-the-z64/

This has probably already been seen and discussed, but daaaang. Despite the fact that it looks HUGE, that thing could be useful.

I never did see the discussion about this, if there was one. Could this thing be cut down considerably? Man, it'd be awesome to implement a tiny version of this in a portable. Stick in a zip disk and load your game. Hot.

Caredo said:
http://modthis.com/2008/09/24/retro-console-mods-nintendo-64-cartridge-copier-the-z64/

This has probably already been seen and discussed, but daaaang. Despite the fact that it looks HUGE, that thing could be useful.

I never did see the discussion about this, if there was one. Could this thing be cut down considerably? Man, it'd be awesome to implement a tiny version of this in a portable. Stick in a zip disk and load your game. Hot.

Sadly Z64's are rather expensive and not that easy to get. We would be better off with schematics.

Z64 Operating Specification

* Range of Working Temperature: 0 to 55 degree centigrade*
* Range of Storage Temperature: -25 to + 80 degree centigrade
* Net Weight: 1.5 kg
* Power: 5W
* Input: AC100 - 240V, 0.2A
* Output: DC +5V / Maximum: 1.6A
* Dimension: 24cm x 14cm x 13cm (L x W x H)

* Internal RAM: 256Mbits (32MB, 8x32 72-pin NP EDO SIMM) Standard
* Media: 100MB PC Format Zip disk
* CPU: 386SX/40MHz
* BIOS: Flashable

BIOS is here

The Z64 consists of an special 386 personal computer with 40Mhz and 512k Ram. It runs a free dos version. It has the ability to program a 32Mb simm. The 32Mb simm is not available as RAM to the 386 PC. The rom files will be loaded into this RAM.
The display is a 20x2 LCD screen with background lightning.
The drive is a standard IDE Zip drive, which can also be used with a PC.
The bios chip is a 5V 4Mbit 150 ns flash EEPROM in a 32PIN DIP socket, you can use the 28SF040 from SST as a replacement.
It also has an unused ISA port.

This link might also be useful.

Marshallh had one a while ago, I don't know if he got rid of it or not, but I think he used it to figure out how to build a n64 flash cart.

Looking at this site, would it really be impossible to build one of these instead of buying one? The BIOS is free to download, and they tell you what it's made out of, components-wise.

Caredo said:
Looking at this site, would it really be impossible to build one of these instead of buying one? The BIOS is free to download, and they tell you what it's made out of, components-wise.
A schematic would be needed because that doesn't tell how all of them are connected, and it doesn't tell all of the passive components and such.

Caredo said:
GET MARSHALLH ON THE PHONE.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT WOULD EXPOSE THE MUTINY! HE'S A MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

jleemero said:
Wanna clone one? Clone something small why don't you.
Whatchoo mean? Is there a smaller, more well-documented one that I could clone? So far, the Z64 is the only one I've seen that has most of its information available to the public.

samjc3 said:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT WOULD EXPOSE THE MUTINY! HE'S A MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
I'm PMing him via BH. Going to ask if he already has a schematic for it, or if he even has the device anymore.

Shakespeare said:
I was digging around the 'net when I came across this awesome device, the Z64. Someone told me you had one and used it to figure out how to build an N64 flash cartridge.

Do you still have the device? I'm really desperate to get a schematic for it.
marshallh said:
I never owned a Z64, I did own a Doctor V64 though. I sold it and have a SN64 SCSI cart now.

Never had/made schematics for those, I did design my own cartridge emulator. It's based around a CycloneII fpga streaming off a CF card. I had schematics and a PCB done but never got around to building it and actually writing the verilog to make it run.

Now if you absolutely have to have the schematics, I don't mind showing you them, but it wouldn't be any more of a curiosity. Building one and doing the rest of the work geting it to run requires that you have at least the same level of knowledge that I had to design it.
Shakespeare said:
Dang, I was hoping you had a Z64 readily available for picture-taking.

The reason I asked was because I'm trying to cut down on as much space as possible while designing a portable N64. Really, I just need something that will read zip disks. The Z64 copied games over to one and could then read the disks it wrote to and play them as if they were cartridges. This'd save me a ton of room (as in, I wouldn't have to carry around bulky carts), as it'd only require me to have a zip reader and the mobo of the Z64 in my portable.

This all ties into my request as the BIOS for the Z64 is free to the public, and all I would need in order to clone one is the hardware and schematics. Oh well.
marshallh said:
Even if you did get the schematics, you would have to lay out a new board (probably 4-layer so that you could condense it) and then you'd have to find a suitable replacment for the PLDs which have copyrighted binary in them. And if you're going to go through all that work, why not design it from the ground up ;)

At one point he said he would complete, prototype, and then shrink for final design a flash card reader for cash. Or maybe it was a smaller N64 board. I don't remember. Anyone got $100? :lol:

NEO_Myth_64-02.jpg

What, Neoflash's little guy?

GBA Cart as storage was a bad move if you ask me.
But them being who they are, and wanting as much money as they can get, it doesn't shock me.

Regardless, it'll work.
Also, lawl at the bare N64 cart in the back of it.

Back