Buying a new computer

designer noob

Hey, So, I was put in charge of buying my dad a new computer and I don't really feel like going through to find the best one.

So, I was wondering what is the best computer you can get for around 900 dollars.

I don't need a keyboard, speakers, monitor, mouse or any extra accesories. I just need the computer.

I went to build your own computer and this is what I came out with:

Cost 900 dollars

Piano Black
PROCESSOR AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 (3.0GHz, 8MB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
8GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
HARD DRIVE 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
VIDEO CARD nVidia GeForce GT 220, 1024MB
Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader
OPTIONAL PORTS 1394a High Speed AV Port

I am wondering now a days can I get a better system for what I am paying? Last, time I was looking up computers it was 512mb for video card and there was no 8gb dual stuff, just 1gb ram or something like that.

We have a computer forum, you know.

Also, what will your dad be doing with this computer? For most everyday users, 8 GB RAM is overkill and you don't need an extremely beefy videocard.

work and plaing ches, but I mean if we are going to buy a computer might as well, go all out. Then, I can play games on it. The computer I am on can barely run the new games on all settings low.

I would sell you my PC for $800. Shipping would probably be an issue, however :p

NZXT Hush Case (Black)
Coolmax 950 Watt PSU (Modified to be silent)
Biostar TP45HP Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU @ 4 Ghz
8GB of DDR2 SDRAM @ 1066 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB Graphics Card
250GB WD Hard Drive
16x DVD Drive
16x DVD Burner
Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Oh, and it plays Crysis ;)

Where did you configure that system? Also, I JUST helped out a guy with pretty much the same thing. The thread is in the Computer forum.

Dell, why is it bad? I don't know the difference between DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4. I am quessing 8gb in DDR2 is not the same as 8gb in DDR4.

Also, I will check the computer forum out thanks.

Back