Laptop for gaming? under 500$...yes seriously. lol

Pcuber

I have plans to buy an "Inspiron 14R" (Dell $446).....yup, no joke. y would that be a joke.... :rolleyes:

SYSTEM................Inspiron 14R
Bluetooth...............Dell Wireless 365 Internal Bluetooth (V2.1 + EDR)
PROCESSOR Intel®Core™................i3-380M (2.53GHz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
BATTERY OPTIONS...........Lithium Ion Battery (6-Cell) – Up to 5 hours, 15 minutes of battery life*
DISPLAY............14.0" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™
SOUND OPTIONS.....High Definition Audio 2.2, Support SRS™ Premium Sound
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE..................8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) - w/ Roxio Burn 1.0
WIRELESS CARDS Intel®Centrino®...................Wireless-N 1000, 802.11 g/n
FACIAL RECOGNITION SOFTWARE.....................Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
Network Card....................Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Adobe Reader................Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
VIDEO CARD.................Intel® HD Graphics
OPERATING SYSTEM..........................Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit

That's a lot to take in, but what do you think? comments/concerns/recommendations are definitely welcome...but what say do I have in that....just write whatever the admins allow I guess.

Oh and just so you know, I don't typically play newer games, I really just want to play the decent old ones like Fable: The Lost Chapters, Crysis, Knights of old republic 2, and so on....yeah, I consider those games "old"

I didnt look at any of the other specs. But thats a nono. Even the sandy bridge intel iGPUs cant hold a candle to mediocre discreet chip. Look for a used asus G51.

Yeah, I mean, Intel HD can barely run TF2 at native resolution. You'll want to look for a better video card.

samjc3 said:
Gaming laptop? LOL

Either get an ASUS G50, G51, or G60 or an Alienware M11x (might be difficult for under $500, though). Nothing else I know of can be found for under $700 and do better. I have a G60 and an M11x R1. The G60 is a beast at gaming for its price. The M11x is the ultimate jack-of-all-trades, it can last over 6 hours browsing or 3 hours playing most modern games (the first version chokes a bit on the newest games).

vskid3 said:
samjc3 said:
Gaming laptop? LOL

Either get an ASUS G50, G51, or G60 or an Alienware M11x (might be difficult for under $500, though). Nothing else I know of can be found for under $700 and do better. I have a G60 and an M11x R1. The G60 is a beast at gaming for its price. The M11x is the ultimate jack-of-all-trades, it can last over 6 hours browsing or 3 hours playing most modern games (the first version chokes a bit on the newest games).

Ok, I'm now looking for an Asus G50 for $599 (amazon; used), but that's not a price I can deal with right now, so can anyone find a better price, preferably at a site that takes PayPal.

Thanks...as always!

EDIT: Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm currently using an acer aspire one to play games? It actually gets the job done on about .02% of all games. Knights of the old republic 1 is the only decent game that works, minecraft struggles :cry:

Check ebay? What is your absolute max? You'll be better off waiting a month or two to save some more money than buying something sub-par now (like the Dell in your first post).

I'd probably go $650, $700 seems too pricey.

Remember I'm currently using a crappy third generation netbook, so I won't mind buying another netbook as long as it can play crysis or fable at a decent frame-rate.

Stuff I care for:
- Ram/Memory (3GB or more)
- Decent Processor
- A screen 11" or more (preferably more)
- Good Network Card

The other crud I could care less about:
- Hard drive space (100GB is all I need)
- Graphics card
- Disk Drive (I have an external; very portable actually)
- Camera

Cooshinator said:
Pcuber said:
Pcuber said:

Yeah, trust me, I realize I wrote those things, but (obvious as it probably was) I was hoping for someone to come up with a laptop/netbook that could support crysis.

It's fine if you can't think of any netbooks that could possibly do that, at least not do it well, and maybe I should've used a different example, but I would prefer something more encouraging... :cry4:

Maybe an ultralight or laptop rocking an AMD E-350? They are cheap and can sort of do gaming. It's not going to be very good, but the Radeon HD 6310 on-die will kick Intel HD's ass any day.

XCVG said:
Maybe an ultralight or laptop rocking an AMD E-350? They are cheap and can sort of do gaming. It's not going to be very good, but the Radeon HD 6310 on-die will kick Intel HD's ass any day.

Again, I REALLY don't care for graphics, I do however care for price.
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking more for a specific model of a laptop. I like Dell because even their junky pc's are reliable.......HP on the other hand...... :neutral2:

EDIT: Nothing wrong with HP, in fact I love the pricing on a lot of their laptops, but I had a bad experiance with one, so yeah...

Pcuber said:
XCVG said:
Again, I REALLY don't care for graphics, I do however care for price.
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking more for a specific model of a laptop. I like Dell because even their junky pc's are reliable.......HP on the other hand...... :neutral2:
You do realize that to play games like Crysis, you need at least a decent GPU, right? You can't say that you don't care and then say you want it to play Crysis.
So do you want a 15-16" laptop or something around 11"? You're really making this hard on us. I think every option someone has mentioned here could easily be found for your budget, so take a look at them and get back to us.

vskid3 said:
You do realize that to play games like Crysis, you need at least a decent GPU, right? You can't say that you don't care and then say you want it to play Crysis.
So do you want a 15-16" laptop or something around 11"? You're really making this hard on us. I think every option someone has mentioned here could easily be found for your budget, so take a look at them and get back to us.

Just to be clear:

11" screen or more (that's pretty broad, giving you a lot of options)

If I use an example like Crysis, you should probably assume I either know what it requires of a computer and/or I have had a previous experience with it, etc. It's fine that you didn't know that, because how could you? That's why I'm clarifying this for all of you. I realize that Crysis in particular is a very 'requirement-stricken' game, so its not easy to play it on just anything.
Therefore I need a decent Video card just to play it on it's lowest settings. Oh and speaking of that, I prefer low settings, which is where the "not caring about the graphics" comes in; becuase honestly you don't need excellent graphics (well...more or less).

If graphics get in the way of the game functioning, then I'm in need of caring, assuming I still want to play that game.

So far you've all had pretty good suggestions, just not all are what I'm looking for.

EDIT: I've been searching around for some great deals on various sites for the laptops you've all mentioned, but sadly none of them have 3gb or more of ram and still fit in my budget, but that still doesn't mean I've cast them out yet! so still thank you everyone!

E-350 PLAYS CRYSIS!
X120e IS AN E-350 THINKPAD! BUILD QUALITY IS BETTER THAN ANY HP LAPTOP, AND CRYSIS PLAYS AT PLAYABLE FRAMERATES! WHOOP DEE DOO, IT'S ALSO 440 AFTER UPGRADING TO AN E-350!
Also, most laptops nowadays have 2 dimm slots. Get the stock 2 gigs(Or whatever stock is on the laptop you're looking at) and get another 2 gig stick at the same speed for $20.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: YES!!!!!!

Mako321 has found the perfect laptop for me and my budget, Thank you Thank you!!!!

lenovo X120e thinkpad....is what I've decided on, unless 'something else' comes up.

I'll just add those extra 2GB of ram to this guy/girl like Mako321 suggested and probably add some other "stuff" later on........and we'll see how that goes.

I can sleep easy, now that I have a potential decent laptop in mind!! whoo hoo.

EDIT: Thank you everyone for suggesting various things, it's ultimately been very helpful and I will no doubt use whatever it was I learned in this thread to contribute to a better life overall.

So yeah, thanks. :XD:

Back