ALHDCLTOAN (AfroLH's DreamCast LapTop Of AwesomeNess)

Re: AfroLH's DreamTop Worklog

bacteria said:
I think you can also use the regulator on a GameCube to output 3v and 5v so now need the PicoPSU, cheaper still; don't know what you pay for old GameCubes where you are, but I can get them for about £3 or £5 each. Does that burst your bubble? :dah:

Why don't you all just use 7.4v batteries?

bacteria said:
I think you can also use the regulator on a GameCube to output 3v and 5v so now need the PicoPSU, cheaper still; don't know what you pay for old GameCubes where you are, but I can get them for about £3 or £5 each. Does that burst your bubble? :dah:

:awesome: Nope, because I already have a picoPSU. :awesome:

Also, $60-70 is a great price. I wasn't complaining.

Also Bac:

When I said you didn't do anything groundbreaking I wasn't trying to be mean toward you.
I just know that people have done stuff like that before.
(Because I do my Homework ;) )

bacteria said:
Ick! Nobody ever do that. Linear regs is what it uses! :(

eurddrue said:
bacteria said:
Ick! Nobody ever do that. Linear regs is what it uses! :(
Hey look, everybody: A person who has no idea what they're talking about, yet states their own assumptions as fact! :red:

There are 3 types of Gamecube PSU's: One uses switching regulators made by National Semiconductor and has blue capacitors, one uses switching regulators made by National Semiconductor and has yellow capacitors (very rare), and one uses switching regulators made by Texas Instruments and has blue capacitors. The rare yellow capacitor one can actually be modded to run off of 7.4v, but it is, unfortunately, very rare. I do have one, though. ^.^

I dunno basement modder, I've seen about 10 different variations, not just three!

The rare one with the single yellow inductor is the one with the 48(?) pin TI chip, that Electric Rain and I theorized possible to run off of 7.4v. Unless someone knew about us and tried it themselves, to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been done or tested, even then all we did was fine the voltage input pin on the chip. There were no components in the way, at least in the common use diagram. I sanded down the board, removed all the components, and traced the pins around, I don't remember the result, but I think that I found that it was possible to input it there. (If the board was alive, I wouldn't have sanded it, I would have tested it, but it had been completely fried.)

SS

Gaah, I switched the last 2 around and wrote capacitor instead of inductor. Thats what I get for copy/ pasting while I type. :rolleyes:

Also- I was referring to the 3 main cores on the PSU's. There are a ton of revisions of them, but there are only 3 different schematics, if that makes sense.

I know that there are 3 different TI ones, one with 2 TI chips, one with 1 TI chip(rectangle-ish) one with one chips (square chip, the hackable one)

SS

BUMP FOR GREAT JUSTICE

samjc3 is sending me my 14" screen pretty soon.
As soon as that comes in...

I will start working on it!

This means that I will start posting Pictures! and Updates!

I hope you guys are ready for this!

I am going to have the records for "The first completed Dreamcast Project of Modretro", "The First Dreamcast Laptop", and "The First AfroLH prject"

:awesomeafro: :awesomeafro: :awesomeafro:

Nintendott said:
Dood!
Where did you get that screen?
me. i got it on tiger direct for 40$ a year ago. now, they dont even exist on the internet, except in places where they are out of stock, and 150$, if they were in stock. so im actually making a profit on this thing! :awesome: :dahroll: :rofl:

Back