Naimlessones Semi-Portable GC

naimlessone

EDIT: AS OF 8/31 I WILL BE UPDATING FIRST POST WITH PICS

So after my last GCp attempt ended in a huge, embarrassing failure, I'm back to try again with a less ambitious try at a true Semi-Portable GameCube. I'll be recycling some parts and pieces from my previous try in this project. So, onto the important things; THE FEATURES! (or lack thereof):

-Wasp fusion w/MEGAdrive v5
-3.5" TFT backup eBay screen
-Rev. C untrimmed GC mobo (built-in Voltage regs)
-3rd party GC controller and buttons
-OEM GC power supply
-XR-57p Case from polycase.com (previously used one in my N64 portable)

EDIT (8/26/15)
I will now have included:
-4 multiplayer ports
-External a/v switch to connect to a TV
-4.3" tft monitor from amazon.com

It's a far cry simpler than my last attempt, and I also have just about everything to get started on it so I can keep steady progress (hopefully) going on this once I start.

Here's some pics of what I'm thinking right now:

Case I'll be using

Heat sink fits almost perfectly

Untrimmed Rev. C Mobo w/multiplayer ports and stock on/off switch

Untrimmed board fits with just a slight amount of wiggle room in the case

I may trim the corners of the board near the Memory card connections if I don't use the Multiplayer pcb to give me more room in the case. But we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Board with the mulitplayer port where I will install it if used

The untrimmed port pcb fits nicely behind the screw posts in the case

And here's some ideas of the potential layout (first pic being the one i like best to have comfortable shoulder buttons)

UPDATE 8/23/15
Here's some pics of the progress I've made thus far on the case:

I did end up trimming the controller buttons plastic down a little bit

The case cover

And superglued then ABS cemented them in place

Cut out the multiplayer ports

Coming along nicely thus far. Now I just have to wait for the abs to cure which seems to take forever; does anyone know a way to help speed it up? It was pretty thick when I put it on ( not runny at all) I figured on giving it a couple of days and just work on the bottom half of the case in the mean time. But if I can harden it up quicker I could finish it up sooner.

UPDATE 8/26/15
Works!

Now that I know the screen works I can install that into the case cover and hook in the megadrive for the wasp. I'm also gonna get an Idea of where I'll place switches for a/v out and player 1 control as well as power, audio and figure out my shoulder buttons etc. I think I'm gonna use these for triggers.

UPDATE 8/31/15

check it out!

I'm making the screen removable as you can kinda see from the four screws on the bottom side of the cover (I thought it might make it easier for repair later if it was ever damaged)

Still gotta hit some spots I missed sanding and reprime then paint. I have a Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Copper color I'm gonna use. Darker color. Clear coat over top of it.

Got the intakes/exhaust in and ABS cemented. Waiting for it to dry on the heatsink walls inside of the case (not in pics)

more tommorow!

UPDATE 9/9/15

Got the primer, paint and clear coat on over the last couple days. Used an automotive primer for the base coat and then Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze and Rustoleum Crystal Clear Clearcoat; two layers of each. Not %100 satisfied with the sand job I had but it's done so I'll have to do better on the next one

Also Installed the MEGAdrive v5 adapter and tested the WASP which worked perfectly after watching Mega's video tutorial on it, which I highly recommend if you are using it in your portable build.

Hopefully I can get some more done tomorrow!

UPDATE 9/10/15

Got some more done tonight, mounted the fan, SD gecko and Wasp SD slot, and the screen to the top. Started working on the audio amp as well. I'm thinking it will be done by the end of next week.

Still need to put together some tacts for volume, lid switch, reset button and a green LED where the shoulder buttons will be, (located right above the sd card slots) on some protoboard. Also cut the controller board and get the buttons together and built.

anyways, here's a couple pics from tonight:

UPDATE 9/15/15

More progress!

So I've wired up a vast majority of the portable so far. Got the Audio amp including switches for volume control, volume level and the Audio out to TV and I rewired the multiplayer ports back to the motherboard and separated the first player line to be switched to portable controller and external controller port. I also mounted the double tacts on some posts inside the case, which was a big headache; I thought I could build some snaps for the tabs on the retrobit shoulder buttons to snap into and couldn't very easily. I ended up cutting up a plastic water bottle and cutting a small strip to put inside the hollow of the button and filled over it with plastic epoxy putty. I then epoxied that to the case and they ended up working quite well. I also got the heat sink mounted with some arctic silver and small bolts and nuts.

Then I dug up some old N64 mounting hardware I had saved to use as mounts for the controller protoboard. I think it's gonna work really well.

Hoping the end of this week to be finished!

You DEFINATELY don't want to mount the controls like in the last picture. I did that with mine and it just plain sucks to hold. Honestly I think you should try the first position, it would be super unique.

The case design with the screen on the bottom probably isn't a very good idea. While it would make it look more "unique," people usually don't do that orientation for a reason, and I've seen that design just once before and it didn't look all that comfortable (edit: found a picture of it). In mimicking holding such a device, it seems you would experience either too much neck strain from looking down or arm strain from holding it up higher than usual for an optimum viewing angle.

I don't think the horizontal one looks all that bad but I don't have personal experience on it like legofan so I guess #2 may be your only reasonable option, which I would have suggested anyway because there aren't enough portrait style portables IMO.

While I would have to agree with legofan about the placement of the controls on the last one in a landscape position, I would have to think that if you trimmed more of the plastic on the control buttons you would be able to centre the screen more in the box so that the buttons can fit on each side of the screen.

Thanks for the input guys. I did end up going with the controller above the screen tho. I'm also going to incorporate the multiplayer ports in the case design as well and have no internal batteries. I just feel that when I go to mount shoulder buttons to the case that the controller orientation below the screen as in the 3rd pic down would be too awkward for my hands and having the portrait orientation wouldn't allow me to put the multiplayer ports in easily. And I don't think it will be very uncomfortable at all. Idk about how other people game, but when I use a gameboy or anything similar that I rest it in my lap against where my belt would be and its not very difficult to move my eyes downward slightly. That's just me tho and others are entitled to their opinion.

Here's some pics of the progress I've made thus far on the case:

I did end up trimming the controller buttons plastic down a little bit

The case cover

And superglued then ABS cemented them in place

Cut out the multiplayer ports

Coming along nicely thus far. Now I just have to wait for the abs to cure which seems to take forever; does anyone know a way to help speed it up? It was pretty thick when I put it on ( not runny at all) I figured on giving it a couple of days and just work on the bottom half of the case in the mean time. But if I can harden it up quicker I could finish it up sooner.

Well this design will be interesting to see. I have to ask though does the meaty part of your thumbs not get in the way of the screen?

Nope, not at all. The screen is somewhat small for this case (3.5"). The way that anyone would really play it would allow for space between their palms and the case so as not to block the exhaust ports on either side as well. I don't think anyone plays anything holding it straight out in front of themselves, more of resting it in their laps, which in this design would be where the multiplayer ports and possibly power jacks are located. I agree it's out of the ordinary, but I believe will turn out quite nice in the end.

Made a small amount of progress today. Got a couple narrow pieces of lexan cut to use as a tray for the fan/heatsink to sit inside. Also made a discovery of some parts I forgot I had laying around; a 4.3" screen with a tiny driver pcb. It might be a little tight but I may just use that instead of the 3.5" monitor now. No more pics yet sorry

So it seems that I cannot hook my screen up to the original GC power supply without it disabling the power supply for a bit. Does anyone know where I could pull power from the board to power the screen without coming directly off the original on/off switch from the gamecube? I'm thinking too much current maybe to the monitor but I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated

What voltage does your Screen require? Most screens I've dealt with use anywhere from 5v to 12v. Also, what revision motherboard are you using?

Rev c board and 12v screen. Im thinking after looking at kasars guide that my red and black wire may be flip flopped +/-.

That was it! black and red were 'flipped' and I had power going to ground. Seems to work now. I'm gonna keep testing to see if I might have fried the gc mobo... (fingers crossed)

Works!

Now that I know the screen works I can install that into the case cover and hook in the megadrive for the wasp. I'm also gonna get an Idea of where I'll place switches for a/v out and player 1 control as well as power, audio and figure out my shoulder buttons etc. I think I'm gonna use these for triggers.

No idea where they came from. maybe a retro64 controller.

I will start updating the first post with date and pics to make it easier navigating here.

check it out!

I'm making the screen removable as you can kinda see from the four screws on the bottom side of the cover (I thought it might make it easier for repair later if it was ever damaged)

Still gotta hit some spots I missed sanding and reprime then paint. I have a Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Copper color I'm gonna use. Darker color. Clear coat over top of it.

Got the intakes/exhaust in and ABS cemented. Waiting for it to dry on the heatsink walls inside of the case (not in pics)

more tommorow!

The driver board was glued to the back in that position. I didn't want to try to pry it off and risk damaging it.

UPDATED FIRST POST! (pics)

Got the primer, paint and clear coat on over the last couple days. Used an automotive primer for the base coat and then Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze and Rustoleum Crystal Clear Clearcoat; two layers of each. Not %100 satisfied with the sand job I had but it's done so I'll have to do better on the next one

Also Installed the MEGAdrive v5 adapter and tested the WASP which worked perfectly after watching Mega's video tutorial on it, which I highly recommend if you are using it in your portable build.

Hopefully I can get some more done tomorrow!

Back