Naimlessones Semi-Portable GC

Thank you. It could have been better had I sanded the primer coat more. You can't really tell from the pictures I posted and won't while playing it so it didn't bother me too much. I really like how the color came out. It's like a copper flaked, super dark brown in the light.

Got some more done tonight, mounted the fan, SD gecko and Wasp SD slot, and the screen to the top. Started working on the audio amp as well. I'm thinking it will be done by the end of next week.

Still need to put together some tacts for volume, lid switch, reset button and a green LED where the shoulder buttons will be, (located right above the sd card slots) on some protoboard. Also cut the controller board and get the buttons together and built.

anyways, here's a couple pics from tonight:

Not even for Metal Gear having two discs?

It'll be hard to not put it in now though, With the hole there already.

More progress!

So I've wired up a vast majority of the portable so far. Got the Audio amp including switches for volume control, volume level and the Audio out to TV and I rewired the multiplayer ports back to the motherboard and separated the first player line to be switched to portable controller and external controller port. I also mounted the double tacts on some posts inside the case, which was a big headache; I thought I could build some snaps for the tabs on the retrobit shoulder buttons to snap into and couldn't very easily. I ended up cutting up a plastic water bottle and cutting a small strip to put inside the hollow of the button and filled over it with plastic epoxy putty. I then epoxied that to the case and they ended up working quite well. I also got the heat sink mounted with some arctic silver and small bolts and nuts.

Then I dug up some old N64 mounting hardware I had saved to use as mounts for the controller protoboard. I think it's gonna work really well.

Hoping the end of this week to be finished!

So i've hit a roadblock in assembly...

I powered everything up and made sure it was working before I started to assemble it in the case. I got about half way through positioning everything where it was supposed to go, hooked the power back up to give it one final test and got nothing...

I tested and got 12v coming in on the mother board, but no 3.3v going to the wasp, screen will not come on, nothing...

I cannot figure out what's going on and i'm pretty bummed out

Suggestions?

Pictures would help but, check that any metal in the case isn't touching anything else, (screws, the back of the screen, etc.) If you have a multimeter set it on ohms and check your lines, there may be a low resistance on the 1.9v lines, Mooper reported around 44 ohms and I see around 22 on mine (though mine may not be working) also I recommend putting electrical tape, epoxy, hot glue or something that doesn't conduct electricity on any exposed wires or soldering

Hope this helps

EDIT: also check this out for the lid switch (you may still want to use a normally closed switch so that you can open the switch) http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... =26&t=3046

Since you said it gets 12 volts, but isn't generating 3v3, maybe the fuse got popped?
You should have continuity on both sides of this.
yeoux0L.jpgh

Mahjarratian said:
Since you said it gets 12 volts, but isn't generating 3v3, maybe the fuse got popped?

If that fuse popped then he would have nothing, no 12v, 5v or 1.9v as that fuse is before all of those voltages are regulated (there is 12v coming in from the wall there) so it's not going to be that. :)

Hope you get your cube going soon Naimlessone

I had this problem when I tried to pull to much from the 3v3 rail. If you cab I would power the screen directly from batteries.

dark_samus said:
If that fuse popped then he would have nothing

Yes, but he stated that he had 12v coming in, meaning if he had checked here, it could be the fuse, as this goes into it.
Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to check, and it'd rule it out entirely.

Mahjarratian said:
Yes, but he stated that he had 12v coming in, meaning if he had checked here, it could be the fuse, as this goes into it.
Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to check, and it'd rule it out entirely.

Welp I need to relearn how to read :p sorry this is what I get for only getting a few hours of sleep and trying to help someone. Hope you get your issues sorted naimlessone

Mahjarratian said:
Yeah, I had to go back and re-read it as well.

I've personally never heard of a fuse going out first, but it's a possibility.

When I cut my board and didn't sand well enough my fuse popped so it's a possibility

I'm shelving this project for the time being until I can become less frustrated in trying to troubleshoot it, but I WILL be back to it at some point. For right now it will be a lot of work cleaning up hot glue de-soldering/re-soldering wires for me to deal with along with my personal life stuff, so I'm putting it on hold. To add to that though, I have recently acquired a Hardshell Gameboy Advance carrying case and have started ordering parts to build another portable, this one somewhat different (I am using internal batteries, no built-in multiplayer ports, different audio amp.) So I'll begin a new worklog on that at some point.

Back