Abb_eliten's GameCube portable (updated with video)

Hi!

After some months of late nights, my first portable is finally finished (well, almost. I need to install the batteries).

Specs.

225x165x45mm (excluding shoulder buttons, disc drive housing and disc cover)

5" Good Display screen

A/V out

Internal 251 block memcard

External memcard slot

Xeno GC chip

4 controller ports

Hotswap between internal an external player 1 controller

Spring loaded disc cover

Idiot-proof charger port for batteries :) (will post pics if anyone's intrested)

Enjoy! :)

p1130096k.jpg

p1130098q.jpg

p1130101.jpg

p1130102g.jpg

p1130103.jpg

p1130116.jpg

p1130104d.jpg

p1130106h.jpg

p1130109.jpg

p1130110.jpg

20110214002.jpg

Some build pics here

/Abb_eliten

Re: Abb_eliten's GameCube portable

are those triggers comfy? i was thinking once of putting some at this angle, but i thought it would be uncomfortable..

By the way, Reaaally clean job for a first (wasn't it?) where is the case from/made of?

lyberty5 said:
are those triggers comfy? i was thinking once of putting some at this angle, but i thought it would be uncomfortable..

Well, it works for me, and I don't have that big hands. But I guess it depend on how the case is formed. Mine is curved along the bottom edges, which makes it quite comfortable.

lyberty5 said:
By the way, Reaaally clean job for a first (wasn't it?) where is the case from/made of?

Thanks! It is my first portable, but I have been doing similiar stuff for some time
Nothing this big though.
The portable is based on a case from OKW called "interface terminal size M", plus a LOT of epoxy and some food containers from Ikea :p

/Abb_eliten

Looks nice, even from the three pictures that would load from my crappy connection.

Wow, that's awesome. I really like it. That's amazing for a first portable! :awesome:

Just so dang pretty, maybe it's the gloss, but oh well, it's still just dang pretty.

Love it! Really thin for a GCp, too. Going to do any more portables?

Thanks for all the nice comments!
I really appreciate it :D

Took some pics of the charger port:

20110116003.jpg

With the switch to the right, the GC takes power from the batteries. Charging port closed

20110116004.jpg

..and to the left from the original power supply, which allows for battery charging. Port open

Haven't tested it yet, but in (my) theory it works! :p

I hope I will have the time to make another portable sometime, but first I'll have to get this done properly.
Will probably get another screen as well, as this one has a horrible viewing angle :wtf:

/Abb_eliten

So a door flips in front of the charging jack when you turn it on?

THAT'S AWESOME.

:awesome: ... It really is. Wait, you haven't tested the charge port?!

- mymixed

Okay. This thing is awesome!

I have no idea who you are, but you seriously better keep making portables. Your case skills are amazing. Shoulder buttons were very well done! And that disc cover is the best I have ever seen. :awesome:

Video I hope?

Looks fantastic!

I once made a switch diagram to make and idiot proof charging port, mine also allowed a charge and play option. Your thing works too though, that's pretty inventive.

mymixed said:
:awesome: ... It really is. Wait, you haven't tested the charge port?!

- mymixed

Nope
Haven't got the batteries yet. But I think I'll go with 6 Panasonic 18650 cells at 2900mAh each.
It's pretty much what fits in it right now and 11.1V @ around 5500-5800mAh would be sufficient right?

Tchay said:
Okay. This thing is awesome!

I have no idea who you are, but you seriously better keep making portables. Your case skills are amazing. Shoulder buttons were very well done! And that disc cover is the best I have ever seen. :awesome:

Video I hope?

Thanks! :)

Can't make video right now unfortunately.
Ripped the screen out in pure anger yesterday after the leds in it fried.
Ordered one from Dalian and it should be arriving at the end of this week or next.
Will make one when installed

ShockSlayer said:
Looks fantastic!

I once made a switch diagram to make and idiot proof charging port, mine also allowed a charge and play option. Your thing works too though, that's pretty inventive.

Thank you!

I actually can play at the same time the batteries are charging, but with the power supply and the charger connected at the same time it's quite clumsy.

/Abb_eliten

Back