Ouya - The Open-Source $99 Android Console

Certainly is an interesting idea. I'll wait and see how well it fares. I'm curious as to what kind of games it'll be capable of playing (and of course what games developers WILL be making) as well as the kind of market penetration it's able to achieve.

Android = Win in my opinion. I'm going to convince everyone at MRTN of this also. If this thing ends up getting root (which it will as long as it makes it to production). It'll just make it that much more awesome.

Emulators for every system up to and including the nintendo DS that run just about perfectly. *Can'tSayThisOnTV* yes. Google play, *Can'tSayThisOnTV* yes.

EDIT: BTW, there are already Chinese systems out now that are comparable to this device. Though they don't quite have the horsepower this thing touts. Or the fancy interface either.

Ashen said:
Android = Win in my opinion. I'm going to convince everyone at MRTN of this also. If this thing ends up getting root (which it will as long as it makes it to production). It'll just make it that much more awesome.

Emulators for every system up to and including the nintendo DS that run just about perfectly. *PLAQUE* yes. Google play, *PLAQUE* yes.
Are you going to be the first to portablize it?

Ashen said:
If this thing ends up getting root (which it will as long as it makes it to production).

Well, the developers themselves encourage hackers and modders.

Ashen said:
If this thing ends up getting root (which it will as long as it makes it to production). It'll just make it that much more awesome.
Hackers welcome.
Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty). Everything opens with standard screws. Hardware hackers can create their own peripherals, and connect via USB or Bluetooth. You want our hardware design? Let us know. We might just give it to you. Surprise us!

Looks interesting. Only issue is software, I've been less than impressed by the current Android games. However, this looks like it could give developers something to latch on to. I'll wait a bit before pledging, though.

vskid3 said:
Ashen said:
If this thing ends up getting root (which it will as long as it makes it to production). It'll just make it that much more awesome.
Hackers welcome.
Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty). Everything opens with standard screws. Hardware hackers can create their own peripherals, and connect via USB or Bluetooth. You want our hardware design? Let us know. We might just give it to you. Surprise us!

Looks interesting. Only issue is software, I've been less than impressed by the current Android games. However, this looks like it could give developers something to latch on to. I'll wait a bit before pledging, though.
Rockstar had the GTA3 engine ported over to Android. If they port GTA:SA, I'm sold.

Mako321 said:
Rockstar had the GTA3 engine ported over to Android. If they port GTA:SA, I'm sold.
San Andreas was such a badass game. Easily the class of the series.

Re: Re: Ouya - The Open-Source $99 Android Console

Ashen said:
BTW, there are already Chinese systems out now that are comparable to this device. Though they don't quite have the horsepower this thing touts. Or the fancy interface either.

That's what I was going to bring up was the other devices; MK802, raspberry pi, tablet/smartphones that have HDMI out, etc. Most of those are more expensive, sure, but most people already have those things. Depending on how comparable this is to those devices in terms of speed will be the deciding factor, especially on talk of portabalizing the device, when I'm sure other devices are smaller. I am aware of this being the wrong place to talk about having electronics in excess. :p

Tapatalk mobile post big whoop wanna fightaboutit

Specifications:
• Tegra3 quad-core processor
•1GB RAM
•8GB of internal flash storage
•HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
•WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
•Bluetooth LE 4.0
•USB 2.0 (one)
•Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
•Android 4.0

$99

down sides for the $ ?

Ashen said:

Emulators for every system up to and including the nintendo DS that run just about perfectly. *Can'tSayThisOnTV* yes. Google play, *Can'tSayThisOnTV* yes.

EDIT: BTW, there are already Chinese systems out now that are comparable to this device. Though they don't quite have the horsepower this thing touts. Or the fancy interface either.

"Developer Special. A first-run OUYA (already rooted so you can just get going), EARLY SDK ACCESS, an extra controller, and we'll help you get started. We'll also help you promote your game for ONE YEAR, and your games will be marked with a FOUNDER EMBLEM."

Does someone with familiarity with the processor want to explain how good it actually is?

Its most comparable to a 360's horsepower (for comparisons sake), Maybe a bit more. Though its not likely to be the power sucker that the 360 is as its built on mobile based components.

The Yinlips handheld I have runs pretty much everything on the android market (all gameloft games, shadowgun, etc) and all emulators pretty much at full speed with a bit of tweaking. The OUYA in comparison to the Yinlips has about 3x the processing power.

I really hope this thing makes it to market, which as of right now the certainty of that looks pretty Dang good. It'd be hilarious to see a startup company dethrone the 3 major players in the market right now.

I was the 53rd person to back this. I'll give a review of it when I get sent one in March.

Ashen said:
Its most comparable to a 360's horsepower (for comparisons sake), Maybe a bit more. Though its not likely to be the power sucker that the 360 is as its built on mobile based components.
Not bad. Should be able to get some quality games, then, if developers put in the effort.

I really hope this thing makes it to market, which as of right now the certainty of that looks pretty Dang good. It'd be hilarious to see a startup company dethrone the 3 major players in the market right now.
It's certainly not gonna dethrone them, but rather open up a new market. They're taking Nintendo's Blue Ocean approach and going after a market that's been largely ignored: Folks who want an open system. I don't envision very many people buying this as their only console, but it could be a pretty interesting supplemental console to go with another more mainstream console.

Yea, I worded that badly. What I really meant is that there is potential for this thing to make a huge splash and be a real competitor. I'll certainly be picking up 1 or 2.

Back