Tim makes a monitor. :D

ttsgeb

Breaker of Everything
Staff member
So, A while back I bought several NJYtouch monitor kits.

This is where one of them ended up.

wp001144.jpg

wp001145.jpg

wp001149.jpg

wp001154b.jpg

wp001155.jpg

wp001156.jpg

Technically, I did do all of this in an afternoon, but I think it's kinda deserving of it's own thread.
If people just disagree with me THAT much, feel free to take the extra effort to merge it and flax.

It still needs some more paint (I'm going to make it black) and some 2*1/8 bolts with wing nuts to finish it all off, but it's pretty well done now.

It's pretty Dang cool what I can do with scrap wood. :D
If you've got a yard of 1*8, a drill, and a jigsaw, you can likely make this in less than 2 hours.

Just a tip, the circles were drawn by tracing the inside of a roll of duct tape, and the squared off ends of the hemispheres that aren't in my design are a tangential line extending 1.5 inches and then I just took a square to find where the other one would end up. The holes for the hinge are drilled at center on the screen half and in line with the front of to pillars and at center of the circles vertically.

Basically, I just made an open source afternoon monitor stand that most anyone with appropriate tools can build for under $10. You're welcome.

What panel did you use, and what kind of communication did you have to have with NJYtouch? Was it just plug and play?

This was a Samsung LTN154X3-L01
The kit was plug and play, however the EDID info didn't line up with what the monitor actually likes to display, so I had to *Can'tSayThisOnTV* around with my computer for like 2 hours to figure out how to make that happen.

As far as communication goes...

I asked before I committed to anything what boards they recommend for my purpose and my panels
I then considered their choices, and then made some of my own.
I committed to buy, and sent them a message about what board goes with what.

4 boards came in the mail, however two of them were identical, but for different panels, and weren't labeled... So I had to guess.

actually communication I'll put into like google docs or some flax and link it in this post.

Actual Communication

So did you have LCD screens from old laptops or something, and you ordered driver boards so that you can now use them as monitors?

Very nice! One of my friends has a really old crappy laptop..... I should see if I can take it from him and do this myself.

Back