Xbox One

Here is what's going to happen.

Microsoft will lose lots of money because it's going to be like what happened with Nintendo, people will buy the Xbox one for the first week, then amazon and ebay will be swarmed with used ones next week. people will stick with their 360, and game developers will also stick with the 360 because they can see this coming.

EDIT: then valve announces a Steam console the next day.

Nah, you're wrong. The Xbox One is going to sell huge sorry.

Also, Valve will never get a console to take off due to the pitiful support of Linux, and the fact that they can't offer performance at a low price just yet.

Kickback said:
Nah, you're wrong. The Xbox One is going to sell huge sorry.

Also, Valve will never get a console to take off due to the pitiful support of Linux, and the fact that they can't offer performance at a low price just yet.

Dang

What's stopping Valve from having a Windows based console?
Do you really think MS is going to complain about having a competitor give them $50 every time they sell their product?

Re: Re: Xbox One

ttsgeb said:
What's stopping Valve from having a Windows based console?
Do you really think MS is going to complain about having a competitor give them $50 every time they sell their product?
My theory is that Valve is doing it to try to push for more Linux support, which I am definitely cool with. The day I can play all the games I want on Linux will be a good day.

zharrhen said:
grossaffe said:
AbyssPWNS said:
The day I can play all the games I want on Linux will be a good day.
A good day, indeed.
the day that that becomes possible will be the day when somebody invents a universal emulator

Or when DirectX becomes available on Linux.

It's a shame, since DirectX is far superior to OpenGL

Kickback said:
zharrhen said:
grossaffe said:
AbyssPWNS said:
A good day, indeed.
the day that that becomes possible will be the day when somebody invents a universal emulator

*Can'tSayThisOnTV* Microsoft and DirectX.
http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you ... ot-DirectX
http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

That article is 3 years old though, maybe it's because I run Windows, but regardless of graphics card I use, I have much more luck trying to run games that use DirectX over OpenGL.

Are they closing the market, well yeah, but will Linux play 90% of the games I own.. apparently not no.

Kickback said:
That article is 3 years old though, maybe it's because I run Windows, but regardless of graphics card I use, I have much more luck trying to run games that use DirectX over OpenGL.

Are they closing the market, well yeah, but will Linux play 90% of the games I own.. apparently not no.
I edited in a more recent blog post (less than a year old) from Valve who are seeing higher framerates running L4D2 in linux with OpenGL than in Windows with Direct3D (and after working with OpenGL in linux, they've gotten OpenGL in windows to push higher framerates than Direct3D).

Re: Re: Re: Xbox One

Kickback said:
zharrhen said:
grossaffe said:
AbyssPWNS said:
A good day, indeed.

I thought L4D2 pulled better framerates on OpenGL.

Better after optimization, which most companies see no point in doing. L4D2 didn't run better in OpenGL until Valve patched it to, so it'd be similar for every other game.

Nobody in the industry actually likes OpenGL though, DX is so much more powerful featurewise that it'd be useless to use OpenGL unless your other choice was DX9.

Why would they sue?
On what grounds?
Company designs hardware
Company installs a legal license of Windows 8, paying all appropriate fees to MS
Company installs their own software on top of this
Company sells the product

The company in question has now expanded MS's install base, and bought a legal license to their product.

It doesn't matter if the company is competing directly with MS on some front (Which a Windows based Steambox *wouldn't* be doing), there are no grounds or reasons for a lawsuit.
If that were the case, MS would be suing the asses off of HP, Dell, Acer, Asus, Nokia, Samsung, Toshiba, LG, etc.

Like, it's just a stupid thing to think. I don't see at all where you could be coming from with that thought.

zharrhen said:
That or they try to sue Valve.

Yeah, that's not happening. It's not like Valve is going to be installing pirated copies of Windows 7. If they pay for the license, then it's really none of MS's business.

That's like MS suing people installing legitimate copies of Windows on their Macs via Bootcamp. It'll never happen.

Back