wii64 laptop

Wretched

Just started working on my wii/n64 laptop project again so I thought I would post my progress over here. Stayed tuned lots of fun stuff on the way.

Here's how I plan on wiring the power but, I'm not positive about the charging jack. Is there anyone who could verify that this is safe and would work. The 14.8v line goes into a three way switch which is off in the middle, too the right it powers the n64 and screen and too the left it powers the wii and screen. Any help would be very appreciated because I don't want to blow up my $200 battery or set anything on fire :p

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/wiringh.png/

Also my screen runs on 12v would putting 14.8v through blow it?

Where's your protection circuit?

Also, it should be safe, but you could get some high-efficiency switching regulators to step it down to 12 to be safe if you want. I wouldn't quote me on the "it should be safe" thing, though.

In the last commission I did I had to use a step up for the 12v screen. It was from Texas instruments and the part number is ptn0450c. The step up took in 5v and with two caps and a resistor put it up to 12v. You shouldn't try running one off of the n64's 7805 because it won't be able to handle the amp draw. I suggest getting a pth08080 from TI and replacing the n64's 7805 with that and then run the step up off of the new regulator.

I hope that's an understandable explanation

It seems to me that you'll be supplying both boards with power with either switch position because of the this connection. Maybe you should add another switch there.
QRfy8.png

ya, the power going to the screen is feeding the other, ether way you flip the switch, if you give the screen its own switch from the battery, then you can also turn it off wile you pulse the game to save power, or hook to a tv.

Hermaphroditus said:
Where's your protection circuit?

Also, it should be safe, but you could get some high-efficiency switching regulators to step it down to 12 to be safe if you want. I wouldn't quote me on the "it should be safe" thing, though.

The PCB is built into the 14.8v battery pack. I do have a 12v regulator but, If I could go without it It would be great to save the room.

bud said:
In the last commission I did I had to use a step up for the 12v screen. It was from Texas instruments and the part number is ptn0450c. The step up took in 5v and with two caps and a resistor put it up to 12v. You shouldn't try running one off of the n64's 7805 because it won't be able to handle the amp draw. I suggest getting a pth08080 from TI and replacing the n64's 7805 with that and then run the step up off of the new regulator.

My battery packs 14.8v so I will need a step down not a step up. Do you think I could go without it and not risk frying my screen?

PRXVII said:
It seems to me that you'll be supplying both boards with power with either switch position because of the this connection. Maybe you should add another switch there.
QRfy8.png

Yes I will put a Switch there as well, thanks for the suggestion. Does my charging circuit look o.k? This project will work strictly off the batteries and not off wall power since I have 2 consoles inside.

Wretched said:
bud said:

My battery packs 14.8v so I will need a step down not a step up. Do you think I could go without it and not risk frying my screen?
If you've got money to burn, you could try it. It's basically a 50-50 chance. Either it'll work, or it won't.

bud said:
Wretched said:
bud said:

If you've got money to burn, you could try it. It's basically a 50-50 chance. Either it'll work, or it won't.

well i have a 12v reg but, its not the smallest. I guess I could probably stuff it in there haha.

Back