WII MINI COME GET READY FOR PORTABILIZING!!

CPCookieMan said:
Fluxedo said:
If we find some mod to use classic controllers on DiosMios we will have GC. But that's mildly far-fetched.

EDIT: found this! GC will most likely work.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution.322284/
Question is, could we find a method that doesn't use the WiiMote at all? If I was doing a portable with this, I'd like it to only act as a Gamecube. I don't really care about Wii support at all and would actually rather not have it. USB controller support maybe?
Assuming you couldn't just solder in a gamecube controller directly, I figure integrating a classic controller would be your best bet.

Has anyone found any better pics of the wii mini yet? It looks fairly small.

We gotta see that motherboard before we decide to scrap out current wii research. The gamecube's final revision board did slim things down, but was actually LESS beneficial to portablizers because of the on board regulator (granted Ashen found a way around this, but its *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing Ashen, so of course).

Now, if the board is SMALL or at least simple enough to cut in half and relocate, then we are ganna be entering a whole new golden age, but for the wii. Fingers crossed!

I would guess that the GC controller solder pads and traces would be one of the first things they axed when making the mini. You might be able to find the traces elsewhere, but I doubt it'll be as easy as the newer regular Wiis.

CPCookieMan said:
Fluxedo said:
If we find some mod to use classic controllers on DiosMios we will have GC. But that's mildly far-fetched.

EDIT: found this! GC will most likely work.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution.322284/
Question is, could we find a method that doesn't use the WiiMote at all? If I was doing a portable with this, I'd like it to only act as a Gamecube. I don't really care about Wii support at all and would actually rather not have it. USB controller support maybe?

Look on shockslayers youtube channel. He has a video of him doing this.

RaAaK the FoX said:
no pb for solder a controller i think , but ...for start the wii menu with no wiimote... Oo
vskid3 said:
I would guess that the GC controller solder pads and traces would be one of the first things they axed when making the mini. You might be able to find the traces elsewhere, but I doubt it'll be as easy as the newer regular Wiis.

depends on how they made it; if they made new components for the wii mini then I don't think we could pull off adding gamecube ports, but, if they put the same components that the regular wii has on a smaller PCB it's entirely possible

I doubt they would put completely new conponents under the hood. We should juat be able to trace everything back and be able to get sone things working.

time will tell.

speaking of under the hood does anyone have one of those Wii U pro (the Xbox style ones) controllers yet? I'd love to get my hands on some board pics

looks like they did make some changes to the mainboard, since it has no wifi.

After going through the trouble to change that, i don't think they'll build in the Gamecube firmware either
If it can't play GC games, why would it even recognize them? :(

sonictimm said:
looks like they did make some changes to the mainboard, since it has no wifi.

After going through the trouble to change that, i don't think they'll build in the Gamecube firmware either
If it can't play GC games, why would it even recognize them? :(

ok, so for the "family" wiis (the horizontal ones without gamecube ports) they use the exact same firmware as the GC compatible ones, but added a check for components to allow the console to work in GC mode. Adding the needed components to one of these Wiis will restore gamecube functionality right? you can see this from the link I posted above

now what I'm saying, is that Nintendo might not bother with a new firmware for the wii mini, and, if the wii mini has the same components as the standard wii on a smaller PCB then it's entirely possible we can do the same thing again. there will no longer be mounts for the extra controller ports but for a portable that may not be an issue

I doubt nintendo will create entirely new firmware just for a miniature wii. My guess is that it has all the same stuff (software wise) that previous wiis have. although it will have stuff like internet and Wifi removed.
Even if it doesn't have all the stuff once it is confirmed that we can get HBC on there it's easy as pie.

I agree entirely, if there is changes (other than the obvious removal of the wifi module) I think it will be on the hardware side, if anything

Doubt it, afaik the Wii U still needs an SD card in Wii mode for that.

No one else is like "HOLY flax TOPLOADING??!?" Dang shame, that's just plain neat, and I'd be curious to know if those drives can be plugged into the later versions of the Wii.

Anyways yeah, jury's out on basically everything until I see mobo shots. I bet it can still play gamecube games just fine, and seeing as how you can wire up a classic controller to a gamecube plug and use it with a regular gamecube, there's no reason with a bit of applied magic we can't use GC controllers with Wiimotes, and that's the most likely option for the general homebrew public, because someone can sell adapters once someone else does some software tinkering.

Now, for the dedicated *Can'tSayThisOnTV*s like us, lets look at this page from the Book of Ashen.
Hey, what's that? You can solder gamecube controller data directly to the CPU?! Of course you can you uneducated wiener-grabber. But that's just on the Gamecube. Gee, I wonder if the Wii works like that. Guess someone will just have to find out. But that's a long ways away and it's a very good reason to continue to research the original Wii revisions.

If you're following the logic that these adorable little Wii Mini's are the special EOL versions of the Wii, I'd assume that means they're using the same CPU's and GPU's as the regular Wii's. And if we find out what pins on there are controller data...then it's just a matter of either putting back the right components and if necessary reinstalling some IOS's or whatever. The same logic above is why I think it can still play dem gamecube games.

Plus I bet it would make a neat portable case.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
No one else is like "HOLY flax TOPLOADING??!?" Dang shame, that's just plain neat, and I'd be curious to know if those drives can be plugged into the later versions of the Wii.

SS

DK  said:
Has a PS1 style flip open top, should be easier to portablise than a slot loader. Hopefully won'tmatter though it it supports the WiiKey.

I'm willing to put money on this being mostly a CASE redesign. If you look at the pics on nintendoeverything, it looks like the "mini" is just a Wii with the front faceplate removed. I bet this things got a regular Wii motherboard in it with the wifi module removed and only a single usb port soldered in, but I bet all the connectors are still there. Why would Nintendo waste their time on a board redesign when they can rehash the same old flax and sell it as something new?

Wii-mini-007.jpg

I mostly agree with Ashen. Although it is possible that a quick redesign with less components and material would actually end up being cheaper. I'm sure the top loader is cheaper than that fancy wii vagina that was on the originals.

Gamecube motherboards saw a major revision that combined the power board and the motherboard. Although it probably took some noticeable amount of skilled labor to redesign the board, it was probably much cheaper and faster to make.

Fingers crossed for this 80's wii.

Back