What are you guys doing to expand/promote ModRetro elsewhere

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
Embarassingly, I am not an active posting member on any other sites. Most of the people I know couldn't care less about this sort of thing (my best friend says "taking good working electronics and wrecking them is a waste of time and money" :rolleyes: ).

I'm working on the wiki, and I post a review every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Hopefully that will bring in some more members.

What caused benheck forum's biggest jump in membership was the first 360 laptop.
One of you needs to make a ps3 slim laptop before Ben does. Then get engadget to feature it.
Also, make your own version of the showcase on benheck forums, and put it on the main page. Every time a new portable is made, make an article about it on modretro.com
make a BIG article about the ps3 slim laptop
Watch new members stream in

I can't promote and expand this site at all. That's whoever can make a ps3 slim laptop's job. (looking at you admins)

ps3 slim laptop would do it. in addition, anything that gets endgadgeted gathers lots of members. :)
i tell my friends, but they all seem to think they are too stupid to join. :gonk:

kylechu said:
What caused benheck forum's biggest jump in membership was the first 360 laptop.
One of you needs to make a ps3 slim laptop before Ben does. Then get engadget to feature it.
Also, make your own version of the showcase on benheck forums, and put it on the main page. Every time a new portable is made, make an article about it on modretro.com
make a BIG article about the ps3 slim laptop
Watch new members stream in

I can't promote and expand this site at all. That's whoever can make a ps3 slim laptop's job. (looking at you admins)

A big thing at MR now is to get away from being the same as benheck, thus a copy of the showcase would be, well, bad.

A PS3 portable will create a rush of noobs here as with X360 laptops.

But the article thing sounds cool.

I think we need to come up with some awesome mod to do to some console that everyone will love, not just another portable, but something else.

Sharing a great feature would be bad? That's stupidtalk!
Besides, it's not like benheck invented the idea of actually having a website to go along with forums.

No, but they did the showcase, and some mods here like jlee have expressed views that this site currently is a "benheck clone" and it need to expand to be a modding in general site where every type of console mod can be put in, and I agree.

I agree with snowpenguin. modretro should not only be about portablizing, but modding in general. we are/were ahead of BH with the computer forums, but now, they did that too. what we really need, are new ideas. ie:, so many n64p's are made, that they no longer attract attention. we need new, fresh things, that attract the attention of people such as ourselves, not just noobs. :dahroll:

well, if I ever get around to it, I'll make the first 3d0p. maybe that will get some attraction here.

Also, I have told soem friends about this place and have convinced them to join (arrow and worst-player).

I thought about making a toploading NES with a Famicom slot as well, and SNES and Famiclone controller ports, and an integrated power supply, and maybe some other stuff.

But I need a NES first. And a lot of other stuff. I can't even afford a 3rd party N64 controller, so it's not like that project is going anywhere.

I also thought about making an XBOX laptop, but that would have to be a commision, like that's going to happen.

I was going to write a guide to electronics, with hands-on experiments and lots of useful info, but I never did. Maybe I still will, we'll see.

I live in a town of 17000. None of them are interested in this stuff.

J.D said:
I live in a town of 17000. None of them are interested in this stuff.

Same. I mentioned it on my LJ, but I have all of one reader, with no interest.

snowpenguin said:
I interpreted that as a joke.
DNT made a funny.

Oh, and of the VERY few people on intelligence within any reasonable distance from me, even fewer have moneys for to maek moddings.
I still try.

Every time I find someone who knows how to solder, I invite them to join this site. Nobody, however, has ever listened. :(

I think we should encorage members to join, but not with our mods. I think our COMMUNNITY and hospitality should invite members. If we promote the site with mods we will just be a Ben heck clone, we will have like 100 members that actually mod, some will just create N acount to say " cool, I like it!" and the rest will be the " omgroflwtf I'm gunna go make me a xbox 360 that can fit in my pocket!!!!!!!!!!!11222"
just my two cents

Even if this website wasn't about modding, I still love the community here. Say, Benheck had no mods or portables...

:mrgreen: I've invited every friend I have on the internetz. They all say, it doesn't interest me. I've invited nearly everybody in our school. They all say, it doesn't interest me. :cry4:

eurddrue said:
:mrgreen: I've invited every friend I have on the internetz. They all say, it doesn't interest me. I've invited nearly everybody in our school. They all say, it doesn't interest me. :cry4:

This describes my exact situation, give or take a few "I'm not smart enough's."

Back