The Xbox 720

I really doubt they're going to use 7000 series hardware, even 6000 series. Seems a bit too recent to use in a console. I would think a 4000 or 5000 series would be more of a candidate. And the ARM rumors, really? That's not a Sega of a transition or anything. It'll be PPC like every other console in recent history, barring the original Xbox of course.

If it really is coming out in one or two years, I doubt they've started production yet. So, I really don't see why they couldn't use a 6000 or 7000 series.

For example, the PS3 came out in 2006 and it uses a Nvidia GeForce 7800 variant, and the GeForce 7000 series came out in 2005.

It's very likely MS are working with AMD to get a Radeon HD 6000 or 7000 series based GPU for the next Xbox.

Zero said:
If it really is coming out in one or two years, I doubt they've started production yet. So, I really don't see why they couldn't use a 6000 or 7000 series.

For example, the PS3 came out in 2006 and it uses a Nvidia GeForce 7800 variant, and the GeForce 7000 series came out in 2005.

It's very likely MS are working with AMD to get a Radeon HD 6000 or 7000 series based GPU for the next Xbox.
The PS3 also cost a buttload of money

Fine, but it doesn't mean my point isn't valid.

The 360 came out in 2005 and uses an improved/custom Radeon X1800/1850, which came out the same year. :p

A few months ago, Microsoft said there are no plans for a new console until 2014 at the very soonest. According to something I read recently, (I can't remember what, exactly) it's coming out towards the end of this year. That's two years they've taken away from redesigning, debugging, and general improvements. Huge mistake on Microsoft's part, if you ask me. I don't think the losses they're taking are going to be worth the earlier release date.

Don't put a large amount of faith in the rumors. Until Microsoft says something, the Nextbox is still a phantom.

ProgMetalMan said:
Didn't they learn anything from watching the 3DS?
Learn? They had already been there and done that.

The 360 was rushed and had really awful launch titles. The difference being that it was released during the holiday season and got it's sales that way, same as how the 3DS was able to outsell the DS in first year sales because of the holidays.

MS just released the 360S hardware refresh in 2010, I really don't see them coming out with a new console this year or even next. The only improvements would be hardware performance- but graphics on the 360 don't look dated as, say, the PS2's graphics did by 2005, or the Wii's did by the day after it was launched. Developers aren't complaining that they're hardware-bound by games. Microsoft's profits are coming from having an established console that's attractive to developers, and their hardware "upgrade options" are Kinects (which will compete just fine with both Wii and WiiU, in the "alternate controls" and "gimmick potential" departments). Honestly, pushing a new console to market this year would be a bad decision all around unless they are going to take drastic steps- and they can't develop something that revolutionary in a year. Kinect is their innovation focus anyway, and anything that new would simply be a distraction. MS knows all this. I don't think we'll see anything major from them in the console department until their previously-stated 2014.

Back