The Software Preferences Thread - MY APP CAN BEAT YOUR APP

Re: Browser Wars (split from Show us your desktop!)

I love how everyone's like "Oh, Opera's lame, I use Firefox" until screenshots get posted, then they're like "Dude, Opera looks sexy, I need to try it out now!"

I WAS INTO OPERA BEFORE IT WAS COOL

Heck YES

Nah, I was into Opera a long time ago. Back when it was super ugly. Back when it was fastest at loading images and videos in tests (is it still?).

How long have you been using Opera, then? I've been using it on and off for three or four years now.

Twilight Wolf said:
I love how everyone's like "Oh, Opera's lame, I use Firefox"

Actually, no one really said that unless you count Afro's post. :p

I tried Opera in its current form, it was good, and left it installed as another backup browser until I reformatted and was too lazy to get it again. It really didn't offer anything that convinced me to make it my primary browser, but it was pretty solid.

Mako321 said:
Even with it taking such little power according to Zero, I still find that Chrome cuts down website load times by a LOT.

My internet connection is good enough that I don't even notice a difference in page load times between Firefox, Chrome, or Opera. They really all load pages at around the same speed for me, but what works for me, might not be the same for you.

Pretty much, this discussion is like the OS war argument that comes up every so often, except even worse because its the same internet.

Except IE, *Can'tSayThisOnTV* that flax.

Actually, although I haven't tried it myself, I hear that IE9 is actually going to be one of, if not, the best browser out there. I know, it hurts my brain to think that, too.
MS is getting to be A LOT more concerned with their image lately, and thus seem to be cleaning everything up, and actually TRYING... WAT!?

Twilight Wolf said:
I love how everyone's like "Oh, Opera's lame, I use Firefox" until screenshots get posted, then they're like "Dude, Opera looks sexy, I need to try it out now!"

I WAS INTO OPERA BEFORE IT WAS COOL

Heck YES

The assimilation has begun. :twisted:

ttsgeb said:
Actually, although I haven't tried it myself, I hear that IE9 is actually going to be one of, if not, the best browser out there. I know, it hurts my brain to think that, too.
MS is getting to be A LOT more concerned with their image lately, and thus seem to be cleaning everything up, and actually TRYING... WAT!?

I heard, I still can't forgive them though for all the years of crappy rendering and how its a nuisance to web design because you needed to go back and make sure your properly written code is fixed because IE didn't render it right.

Zero said:
I heard, I still can't forgive them though for all the years of crappy rendering and how its a nuisance to web design because you needed to go back and make sure your properly written code is fixed because IE didn't render it right.
http://www.iestolemylife.com/

I like Chrome because I feel it's the most secure (see:pwn2Own2010).

From testing on the PC-p (which is kinda a pain in the ass right now, since I dont have the touch panel mounted to the screen, and no other control)

And, while its kinda hard to time since the times are so short, it looks like Chrome loads pages roughly 30% faster than Firefox. (Latest version of Chromium and FF 3.6, respectively) The load time from a desktop shortcut is rather larger split. Chrome is up and ready in ~4 seconds. Firefox is like 15. With no plugins whatsoever, no virus protection, and no other programs running.

Personally, I use chrome, as I never have issues with it crashing, and I use no plugins at all. And I often find myself above 25 tabs. (not that FF.net is particularly resource intensive or anything, but still) Never crashes either, and themes are overrated. Works excellent for my purposes.

Oh, also, chrome is much easier with a touchscreen.

I liked the interface of IE since I was used to it, but I was getting screwed on all manner of things. So I made the switch to Firefox. It is a lot better. It does have some quirks and differences, but it's an overall better experience and I'm used to it now.

I have Chrome on the Eee 701. It's fast and the interface is nice for a netbook, but I would never use it as my primary browser.

Never tried Opera.

I am looking for a better antivirus. AVG used to be excellent, now it's more bloated than Norton.

Avast is your friend.

Intelligence is your friend.

ClamWin is completely free.
I scan regularly, I never get a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing thing.
Know why? I'm not an idiot, so I don't DOWNLOAD flax WITH VIRUSES. WHAT A CONCEPT?!

jlee goes rage about everything. He's vastly superior to us in so many ways, obviously.

He's a professional at everything he's ever attempted or ever thought about attempting.

Anyways, DISCUSS BROWSERS, NOT ANTI-VIRUS STUFF. I AM NOT GOING TO RE-SPLIT A TOPIC THAT'S ALREADY BEEN SPLIT.

I use a pretty obscure browser; you've probably never heard of it.

</afro>

Twilight Wolf said:
He's a professional at everything he's ever attempted or ever thought about attempting.

Anyways, DISCUSS BROWSERS, NOT ANTI-VIRUS STUFF. I AM NOT GOING TO RE-SPLIT A TOPIC THAT'S ALREADY BEEN SPLIT.

Thread fascism much? You do have a point, though.

Thread fascism? Trying to keep people on-topic is "thread fascism?"

GTFO. :wtf:

XCVG said:
I am looking for a better antivirus. AVG used to be excellent, now it's more bloated than Norton.

I like Avira AntiVir. It's basically what AVG used to be back in the 7.x days. Microsoft Security Essentials is supposed to be pretty good too, from what I read. I've got to reinstall my PC (bigger hard drive, and my Win7 Enterprise trial version is expiring in 2 weeks), so I'll give it a shot.

ClamAV is garbage.

e: Everybody likes URLs.

bic said:
XCVG said:

I like Avira AntiVir. It's basically what AVG used to be back in the 7.x days. Microsoft Security Essentials is supposed to be pretty good too, from what I read. I've got to reinstall my PC (bigger hard drive, and my Win7 Enterprise trial version is expiring in 2 weeks), so I'll give it a shot.

ClamAV is garbage.

e: Everybody likes URLs.

I have nothing to contribute except that I also use Avira AntiVir and it is great.

Back