The Software Preferences Thread - MY APP CAN BEAT YOUR APP

Re: Show us your desktop!

I like Firefox best. I have my extensions set up just how I like them and I know exactly where everything is. Chrome is my backup.

Chrome is indisputably better than Firefox, with the exception of add-ons. If you use add-ons, then Firefox is best. I, however, only use Ad-Blocker Plus, which Chrome has.

Firefox often feels too bulky to me, too much up top.

Ampersand said:
Chrome is indisputably better than Firefox, with the exception of add-ons. If you use add-ons, then Firefox is best. I, however, only use Ad-Blocker Plus, which Chrome has.
Ampersand said:
Chrome is indisputably better than Firefox.

That is one of the stupidest mother*Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing things I've ever heard you say.

Browser War over, this is a "Post Your Desktop" thread. Get back on topic god *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing Dangit.

jlee why are you so mean to me :(

But yeah, wrong use of words. I guess there's plenty of arguments of why Firefox may be considered better than Chrome. And to be honest, it's a matter of opinion and personal preference. But aside from add-ons, Chrome is better. It's faster. Also, for all of you saying when one tab crashes, they all do: you're doing something wrong. On my piece of flax desktop, I've never had that happen. Heck, I can't remember the last time a tab crashed at all.

Also, to get back on topic, my piece of flax desktop's desktop:
6uu0e.png

And in a few minutes, my laptop's desktop, since I'm finally getting it back tonight.

Ampersand said:
I guess there's plenty of arguments of why Firefox may be considered better than Chrome. And to be honest, it's a matter of opinion and personal preference.
Exactly.

Ampersand said:
But aside from add-ons, Chrome is better. It's faster.
One step forward and then you fell backwards down a flight of stairs.

Ampersand said:
Also, for all of you saying when one tab crashes, they all do: you're doing something wrong.

Well, you're clearly the expert, so please tell me what exactly I'm doing wrong by, you know, running Chrome. :wtf:

Also, once I finish installing my graphics card's new driver I'm gonna get to work on splitting this off-topicness into a new thread.

Re: Browser Wars (split from Show us your desktop!)

Even with it taking such little power according to Zero, I still find that Chrome cuts down website load times by a LOT.

Ampersand said:
Chrome is indisputably better than Firefox
Why?
Ampersand said:
newbitmapimagexc.png

Whut

Also, from my experience, most of the Chrome themes are pretty mediocre. Firefox has a much better selection of themes. In addition, it is also a lot more customizable - If you like Chrome's UI, you can have Chrome's UI. Also, probably a couple sites work better for me in Firefox then in Chrome.

Don't get me wrong - Chrome's a good browser. But in terms of usability, not much has changed from the Chrome Beta back in 2009 or 2008.

Looks pretty close to me...

JWKwQ.png

...but I still use chrome more. Its faster, IMO.

Firefox is better when I'm, say, doing a research paper and want to have like 25 tabs open. :/

Browser X is better, because, well, yeah, ya know.
That's not debating.
That's stating an opinion as a fact.
It's called "Being *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing Stupid".
It's an incredibly stupid thing to do.
Don't do it.

Try to give points to support your argument.
"It's faster" is not a valid point.
Guess what, there are a ton of *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing factors to this effect. A ton.
A *Can'tSayThisOnTV* ton.
A Jesus Christ Holy *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing Balls Are You Kidding Me God Dangit *Can'tSayThisOnTV* TON.
Some sites will be faster in A than in B.
Some sites will be faster in B than in A.
Some will not render correctly in A.
Some will not render correctly in B.
Some load faster on Mr. Guys computer.
Some load faster on Mr. Gays computer.

Saying a browser is "Faster" is like saying a car is "Faster".
Maybe 0 - 60, it could be.
Maybe in a quarter mile it is.
Maybe on the Nurburgring it is.
But if A beats B in 0 - 60, and B beats A on a quarter mile, and A has a greater top speed, and B reaches its top speed twice as fast as A, and A has better cornering, and B has a better driver, ...
Yeah.
Shut the *Can'tSayThisOnTV* up about "Faster".

How about this: On my computer, Google Chrome has the tendency to load web pages more quickly than Firefox.

I like Opera because:

- It seems to use less memory when there's a crapton of tabs open than the others, and actually frees that memory properly when it's done with it. (It's not uncommon for me to have so many tabs open that they don't fit in my 1920x1080 monitor without getting squished to 5 pixels wide.)
- Firefox pissed itself in fear of my bookmark backup file (I have deleted maybe a dozen bookmarks since 2006)
- I really like the collapsible sidebar that can list your tabs, downloads, history, plugins, bookmarks, or pretty much anything else you want it to
- The same exact version runs on my Windows 7 desktop, iMac G3 (on OS X), Windows 2000 laptop, and the NT 4 VM I keep around for laughs
- Opera Turbo comes in handy for when I'm using someone else's slow crappy WiFi and don't want to turn images off completely. (Basically it sends all images through their server to get squished into very noticeably compressed JPEGs.)
- Saved sessions. Close the browser and it picks up exactly where you left off, not where you last decided to save a session or where you were 10 minutes ago.

And obligatory UI size screenshot:
opera.jpg

(That bar on the left can be completely disabled, but I leave it up because I'm lazy.)

J.D said:
Ampersand said:
Chrome is indisputably better than Firefox
Why?
Ampersand said:
newbitmapimagexc.png

Whut

Also, from my experience, most of the Chrome themes are pretty mediocre. Firefox has a much better selection of themes. In addition, it is also a lot more customizable - If you like Chrome's UI, you can have Chrome's UI. Also, probably a couple sites work better for me in Firefox then in Chrome.

Don't get me wrong - Chrome's a good browser. But in terms of usability, not much has changed from the Chrome Beta back in 2009 or 2008.
What do you mean, whut. That's what I'm talking about. That's so much clutter, bro. But I mean if you're not into slim and curvy things, go make sweet love to your fatty Firefox :)

But, maybe I'm wrong, Chrome loads webpages and plays YouTube videos more smoothly than Firefox on all the computers I've actually compared. And I've never had Chrome crash, and Firefox used to crash a bunch. Granted, that was just after the Firefox 3 release.

Has anyone else heard of this Flock browser, though? I'm interested in trying it out, since I do social network quite a bit.

Woah, Opera got sexy since the last time I used it. And that was the only problem I had with it back in the day, was the lack of sexiness.

Hmm, I might have to install opera on my pc.

I used firefox for a really long time, but finally switched to chrome when it got to the point where it took about a minute to boot firefox. The only reason I was still using firefox was because of adblock plus, but it seems that chrome's version has improved since then. Chrome is just better at booting, but as far as loading pages go, I don't see much difference. There, I didn't use the word fast.

Dang, Opera looks sexy. I might have to try it out. I use it on my phone when I have poor service to make up for the slower speed with Opera's compression.

Back