The nobble64 worklog!

Re: Nobble's N64 Portable Worklog

nobble said:
I bought one on ebay

Well be careful. There was a seller selling them on Ebay but the estimated shipping wasn't until April 15th.

ShockSlayer said:
hailrazer said:
nobble said:
I bought one on ebay

Well be careful. There was a seller selling them on Ebay but the estimated shipping wasn't until April 15th.

Conspicuously the same day as my birthday....

>.>

<.<

:stare:

SS

*ahem*

Our birthday*

Ahaha, just kidding. But that's way too much fun to screw with.

hailrazer said:
ShockSlayer said:
I lol every time I see that cart slot relocation pic.

SS

Which one ? And why?

This one.(yours)

Because it's so funny looking..... and unnecessary. The wires going through the holes like that and being soldered to the other side like that makes me happy cringe. I relocated a cart slot today with wires half the length and used epoxy to accomplish the same thing. Also I dig the metal bracket things.

SS

hailrazer said:
It didn't say anything about april 15 so I think I'm good.

ShockSlayer said:
Because it's so funny looking..... and unnecessary. The wires going through the holes like that and being soldered to the other side like that makes me happy cringe. I relocated a cart slot today with wires half the length and used epoxy to accomplish the same thing. Also I dig the metal bracket things.

SS

Yea well let me tell you a thing or two.

1. It is absolutely necessary. I can't put the wires on top because the cart slot is flush with the board. So if the wires were on top the cart would not slide in. So the wires have to go to the back. And I have used wires twice as long with no ill effects. It's not the size of the wire that matters it's how you use it. :)

2. I have used epoxy to hold cart slots. And with the constant sliding/wiggling of the cart back and forth from inserting/removing it eventually breaks loose. Same with hot glue. I build my portables to last forever not a few weeks. ;)

nobble said:
It didn't say anything about april 15 so I think I'm good.

Well if it was this seller than it is April 15th.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...44897&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

hailrazer said:
ShockSlayer said:

SS

Yea well let me tell you a thing or two.

1. It is absolutely necessary. I can't put the wires on top because the cart slot is flush with the board. So if the wires were on top the cart would not slide in. So the wires have to go to the back. And I have used wires twice as long with no ill effects. It's not the size of the wire that matters it's how you use it. :)

2. I have used epoxy to hold cart slots. And with the constant sliding/wiggling of the cart back and forth from inserting/removing it eventually breaks loose. Same with hot glue. I build my portables to last forever not a few weeks. ;)

1. I did it yesterday, you can too if you use the right methods. :p The cart slot is pushed straight onto the board. and the wires going up are covered. The cart sliding in doesn't ever touch the cover. You can run the wires through the little plastic parts on the side of the cart slot if you remove the metal shielding or just cut off the parts you need. A cart slots wire length can be pretty long, my 2nd n64p's cart slot wires were about as long as a regular snes cart. Shorter is better, just a general rule of electronics, you know? Also: "It's not the size of the wire that matters it's how you use it" Ooh, kinky. :awesomepalmer:

2. Your epoxy brand sucks/you didn't apply it right/something went wrong. I have epoxied many cart slots to n64 boards, and at one point I fried a board and had to replace it. I attempted to break off the cart slot, but the actual n64 broke in half first. It was a pretty strange sight to see, but nevertheless it proves that the right stuff works really well. It all depends on the brand, I guess. Metal brackets are definitely a considerable choice, but when it all gets down to it you could argue strength versus weight. And that's pointless, because every portable is different. ;) Also hotglue is generally bad for anything structural that's in heavy use in a portable.

In any case, I like to friendly argue different aspects of portables with you hailrazer so we can both learn more about different techniques, and as we share them other people can read and learn info they could possibly use. Everyone wins! :awesome:

SS

ShockSlayer said:
1. I did it yesterday, you can too if you use the right methods. :p The cart slot is pushed straight onto the board. and the wires going up are covered. The cart sliding in doesn't ever touch the cover. You can run the wires through the little plastic parts on the side of the cart slot if you remove the metal shielding or just cut off the parts you need. A cart slots wire length can be pretty long, my 2nd n64p's cart slot wires were about as long as a regular snes cart. Shorter is better, just a general rule of electronics, you know? Also: "It's not the size of the wire that matters it's how you use it" Ooh, kinky. :awesomepalmer:

2. Your epoxy brand sucks/you didn't apply it right/something went wrong. I have epoxied many cart slots to n64 boards, and at one point I fried a board and had to replace it. I attempted to break off the cart slot, but the actual n64 broke in half first. It was a pretty strange sight to see, but nevertheless it proves that the right stuff works really well. It all depends on the brand, I guess. Metal brackets are definitely a considerable choice, but when it all gets down to it you could argue strength versus weight. And that's pointless, because every portable is different. ;) Also hotglue is generally bad for anything structural that's in heavy use in a portable.

In any case, I like to friendly argue different aspects of portables with you hailrazer so we can both learn more about different techniques, and as we share them other people can read and learn info they could possibly use. Everyone wins! :awesome:

SS

1. It "might" work , but probably not in my case. It would be very difficult to get 50 wires under the cart slot with as low as I need it to go. My cart literally hits the top of the solder pads when I slide it in. And whats the point. So I can solder on the top side instead of the bottom? Makes no sense.
2. Doubtful as I have tried several epoxies. Metal epoxies and plastic epoxies. Epoxy is fine but in this case not so good IMO.
Also my brackets probably weigh less than the amount of epoxy needed to adequately hold a cart slot in place.
Also where I need my cart slot is no place where I want to slap a bunch of epoxy. If something goes wrong (like the cart slot breaks or needs to be changed) the epoxy will rip up parts when removed. (As your story bears out). Not forward thinking in my book. With my method if i need a new carts slot it is simple to remove and re-do. Seems like a much more professional solution to me.

Well enough jacking of this thread, time to get back on topic for Nobble. :)

nobble said:
Ok so I am starting this up again. I am using two 3.7v 4200 mah batteries, an led modded zenith screen, a modified n64 controller with gamecube sticks, and a datamax case. Now before you nag about the datamax case it's a different model. Its the model two which looks a flux load better imo. So now I am having a race with BoFoSho to see who can make the n64p first. But seeing as I am putting a LOB64 port in it I hope he does the same thing since he has a head start. Good luck! May the better portablizer win. ;)
My case is coming from england :neutral2:
I need a backup n64.
Dremel.
epoxy.
ABS cement.
sandpaper. Then I'll get started .
Also I'm doing LOB64

Well i fried my n64 and bought a new one today. I got my datamax ii case and it is too small and I need a smaller screen.

The cart slot relocation bridge at one point i guess and i didnt see after triple checking and the power adapter fried. I dont really want to mess with it anymore so i just bought a new one.

Well I started working on the case. The datamax ii was too small so that's a bust. A NES portable would barely even fit in there. The pictures and measurements of the case from online were deceiving. So now I'm using a zn-45 with a smaller project box to house the cart slot. I decided not doing the relocation would be tough to work with even thought it's hard for me to get a good clean connection. So I'm going to try once more. And I realized that I may have only blown the power adapter and not the n64 itself. So I am using ps1 triggers for the L, R, and double Z's. Here's some pics.

(Ignore the front of the case, It was for an old snes portable.)

IMG00297-20100315-1749.jpg

IMG00299-20100315-1749.jpg

Back