The Cube Boy *UPDATE 05/23/13*

Re: The Cube Boy *update 05/06/12*

update *05/31/12*

Big update, cool stuff, and 3d printed magic! That's what today's post is about.

I got a 3d printed extension from my school just before I graduated. It extends the gameboy case so there is adequate room for batteries. There would have been room for a gamecube without it. But IMHO it's just not a portable without batteries.

Other than that I got the new regulator wired up and new parts in for building the automatic wiikey switch. (more on that in a future update after it's been built) The board has been cut almost completely. The only part left is making the cut of the transistors for the cube controller. Which I think is going to be the hardest part, I just don't know what the transistors are for so I'm walking into this cut blindly. A lot of research is in my near future. Anyway: PICS!

IMG_20120531_141259-1.png

IMG_20120531_141314-1.png

IMG_20120531_224948-1.png

IMG_20120531_224959.png

Re: The Cube Boy *update 05/31/12*

That case looks supa sexy man! If you can help it, leave those transistors for the controller alone. They're not worth messing with IMO. You still have a good 3-4mm you can cut on the other side of the board if you really need the space. If you get me some measurements of what space you have to work with. I'll take a looksie and see if its possible to leave em on. If you want, that is.

Well it just needs to fit horizontally in a gameboy.

So 84 mm at absolute most. But I'd still like some breathing room.

EDIT:

That's about where I need to make the cut.

3/4 of the way down C74

UncutTop.jpg

What I wish I had was a tool that could cut small enough to go between the transistors. I have scans of a bar cube and a relocation wouldn't be so bad. But unless I want to spend 12 hours with a small xacto knife that's not going to happen.

This is what I'd recommend, I based most of the cut off what you've already done:

UncutBottom-2.jpg

You can cut on the blue line on the A/V side if you need to, you'll need to rewire some stuff over there, but its much easier than wiring to those tiny transistors. This way you can just jam some 30awg down into the via's right in front of them, solder to them and forget about it.

I'm also worried about the components on the top of the board. I can't seem to find a clean line that I can just cut then relocate the entire board without interfering with the parts on the other side. I wish I knew what the parts did and which ones could just be removed.

The only thing you need to worry about on the top of the board is that tubular looking crystal thing. Other than that, cut the rest off right where I've shown. No other relocation's are required. Most of the flax on the top of the board is for the EXI or serial expansion ports. Which we'll never use in a portable.

Mk, ashen I think I've got it mostly figured out how I can go about doing this. One question though, do I need the resistor arrays on top of the board? It looks like they're for 3.3v to power the transistors. So I probably need them.

Nope, just cut where I've shown and you'll be fine. You'll need to give the controller 3.3v, data and Ground for it to work though. Powering the controller thru the dataline was never a good idea anyway.

Wait, you mean literally cut there? No foolin?

What about the transistors for the memory card, don't you need to rewire those too?

I would never fool with you Ben. Take your Dremel and cut right where I've shown, zip right through all the flax on the board components and all. NOTHING needs to be relocated besides the tubey thing I mentioned.

Transistors for the memcards are unneeded. Wire the memcard connections straight to the CPU via's and you'll be hollywood.

*SQUEEE*

PREPARE THE DREMEL!

NUUUUUUNUUUUUUUNUUUUNUUUUNUUUNUUUNUUNUUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUNUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Man, that spacer is killer! Think you could get your hands on another? ;)

Probably not, I'm working on a prusa mendel as a side project right now but they wanted $5 per cubic inch, which used up my lab fee for the class. Now that I've graduated I can't necessarily walk in and get another. If I don't have my own 3d printer running by this fall my university probably has a 3D printer.

I would ask to borrow the file, but there doesn't seem to be a 3D printer anywhere near me. :p If your college does have one, let me know because I've got a DMG that I've been wanting to use but I haven't figured out a way to fit in batteries. Heck, I'd pay good money to gain some space in there without having to frankencase it.

Might have to pop over to my local hackerspace and print it off. Not too sure what I'd actually use it for though :p

DK  said:
Might have to pop over to my local hackerspace and print it off. Not too sure what I'd actually use it for though :p
A Gameboy?

:p

Just been working on another project guys, but don't worry about cube boy updates. I will be finishing it before I move out this fall.

DSCN0130.jpg

Back