The art of video games- smithsonian exhibit

Mako321 said:
Ebert took back what he said, didn't he?
I sincerely doubt it. If you look through the comments, you'll see he actually replied to a few. Of course, he only replied to the comments that brought poor arguments, or only addressed portions of comments that really meant nothing. Any actual insight was ignored as he has completely written off the possibility of games as art. The closest he has come to accepting the possibility is by saying such a game would not be a game.

Some games can be considered art.
Some games could never be art.

You can't just say "games = art" or "games = not art" otherwise you're limiting your view and restricting your opinions based on the fact that you haven't experienced all games.

Phoenix Wright, for me, I would consider that art.
My Little Pony: The Runaway Rainbow, NOT ART.

SS

EDIT: *Can'tSayThisOnTV* I VOTED TOO FAST AND ACCIDENTALLY PICKED OOT OVER MM. Flameshields ready, preparing troll catapult now.

Nonsense! Torture is an art form, too... I mean, you really have to be creative to come up with flax people aren't prepared for, and being forces to play my little pony... well, nothing can prepare you for that.

I think the whole article is based on the assumption that art is something that can have an objective definition (which I personally believe isn't possible), and the definition he's basing the article on is what he says it is. As such, he can change the definition to include or exclude whatever he wants. All I got out of that article was pure bias, so I'm pretty sure his sole purpose was only to devalue video games. I think he's probably been influenced by the traditional media mindset that video games are pointless wastes of time that make kids violent and thus he doesn't want to make an attempt at understanding them or how they've evolved.

To me, video games can be as much of an artistic medium as music or a painting, and they have the capability of telling stories just as well as a movie or a book. I thought his comments on the inability of video games to tell a story in the same kind of emotionally-moving way as a movie was pure bull and I thought it showed just how much he's concerned only with putting down video games as a medium. I figured someone as esteemed as Roger Ebert wouldn't be so narrow-minded, but then again, maybe he's just an ignorant old man who doesn't want to understand.

From article.
BLAH BLAH BLAH...Postal is violent and not art therefore no games are art...BLAH BLAH BLAH

I LOVE THIS LOGIC

Shadow of the colossus Is a piece of Art.
Metal Gear Solid series are a pieces of art (Regardless of what Kojima Says)
Red Dead Redemption is art.

fountain.jpg

This is the most influential art piece of all time voted by many artists because it says ANYTHING that the artist says is art is art.

Fountain by Duchamp, btw.

Edit: In case you didn't know, it's a urinal with a signature on it.

Signature on a urinal is art?

I've signed many a urinal with my signature.

By definition, I am the most influential artist EVER.

SS

I quoted it from MW2, actually. In any case, it's what Shepherd says next that I quote a lot.

Back