The afternoon projects thread

Not only till I uploaded my video did I find out a lot of other people have made much, much better ones.

I had a broken flash unit. I wanted a working flash unit. I had the flash part of a disposable camera. An hour or so later (maybe two, I lost track of time) I had an extremely ghetto, but working, flash unit. It goes perfect with my $2 Holga-esque camera.

MORE CREATIONS FROM XCVG's GARAGE!

I built a soda can stove. Unfortunately, I kind of screwed up the holes and I can't get it to light. You have to heat it up- I dumped some fuel under it and lit it up. It did light just before the fuel below all burned up, then went out. I used 70% isopropyl because that's all I have.

So, later I'll try again, maybe build one with properly spaced holes.

EDIT: Achieved ignition and a self-sustaining flame, but had to heat the Heck out of it to do so. Useless for actual backpacking or similar use, and barely usable for a burning-stuff-burner. Will try again... tomorrow.

124ixdx.jpg

I'm pretty sure the flame way up in the air is some kind of optical illusion or camera glitch.

i bought a broken n64 and four controllers and i fixed three of the controllers and the n64 i bought it for 9$ on ebay

it went from a beat up n64 to this!
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8910/09291t.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4697/09295.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1787/09293.jpg

i used two leds from some random light up stuff i had and ! i also added a switch to turn on and off the lights !

yes i was bored haha it took me about 2 hours to make and it is for sale if anyone wants to but it before i put it up on ebay. pm me!

XCVG said:
MORE CREATIONS FROM XCVG's GARAGE!

I built a soda can stove. Unfortunately, I kind of screwed up the holes and I can't get it to light. You have to heat it up- I dumped some fuel under it and lit it up. It did light just before the fuel below all burned up, then went out. I used 70% isopropyl because that's all I have.

So, later I'll try again, maybe build one with properly spaced holes.

EDIT: Achieved ignition and a self-sustaining flame, but had to heat the Heck out of it to do so. Useless for actual backpacking or similar use, and barely usable for a burning-stuff-burner. Will try again... tomorrow.

The thing about Soda Can stoves/penny stoves is that they HAVE to be preheated. The stove isn't pressurized, so you have to heat the Alcohol enough that it evaporates at a high enough rate for sustained flame. They are useful for backpacking, but you need to take a hard container full of fuel with you, and have a way to heat it up successfully. Like a lighter and a glove. All the size and placement of the holes does is control the rate of flow and thus the heat. Many small holes = hot while few large holes = cool

I don't do backpacking, and I wouldn't bring something I built myself as my only stove. Anyway, yeah, I know it has to be preheated, but this one takes a ridiculous amount of preheating to preheat. The little bit of alcohol under the stove doesn't work- I have to use a lot of alcohol. Several times. Tomorrow I'll build another with an open top.

Anyway, I UXE softmodded my other XBOX. Not as good as a TSOP flash, but it's a Dang 1.6 which is not flashable. I also got some parts for my halloween project.

Back