The afternoon projects thread

UPDATE: I've been playing my PSP for a whole day and it's still 98%. :D

EDIT: Whole day, meaning on and off when I get breaks.

According to my calculations, you should get 1200 hours of gameplay. That's 50 days, or 7 weeks.

βeta said:
According to my calculations, you should get 1200 hours of gameplay. That's 50 days, or 7 weeks.
Which is funny, because the batteries aren't even that big :p
make a compartment for them at the back :p

HOLY flax. I AM DOING THAT. 7 WEEKS? My battery isn't holding a charge anymore(actually, my 4 batteries) and I need a new one. I have li-ions in my basement too.

βeta said:

Wow, I wonder how much playtime you can get from a car battery; it'd be perfect for natural disasters.

Wouldn't that... rather, I don't know.. depend on the natural disaster?

I mean... ok, scenario 1:

"OH *Can'tSayThisOnTV* THE NEIGHBORHOOD'S FLOODING, QUICK GET TO HIGH GROUND AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T FORGET THE CAR BATTERY AND PSP"

Or, scenario 2:

"So this one time at bandcamp OH HOLY flax THERE'S A TORNADO COMING TOWARDS THE HOUSE, GRAB THAT THAR CAR BATTERY AND PSP AND RUNNNNN"

I guess it would work if you, I don't know, just lost power for a while. No real natural disaster.

If with a small battery like that it manages 50 days straight playing, I seriously doubt you'll be needing anything much bigger to last for the longest of natural disasters.

There's something the matter with you if you play your psp 15 hours in a single day.

I thought you had done it properly with amp draw, etc, beta, SORRY BOUT THAT.

My usual "all day" use of this PSP is an average of 2-3 hours. Usually used when I have nothing to do, commuting, sitting and waiting for someone, lunch breaks, music listening, etc. I've played this PSP for a maximum of 6 hours in a day, with a car adaptor plugged in.

All 4 cells are wired in parallel, Each cell puts out 3.7V which is the same as the stock PSP's Li-Po battery. No risk of burned out circuits here.

The Li-Ion cells were pulled off a 9-cell laptop battery I had since 2004. When the cells were new, they have a capacity of 2200mAh per cell. [1] Of course, this has degraded over the years, but they still hold an impressive charge.

As of this writing, the PSP is still going on the 4-cell pack from it's first charge when I built it on May 17. On May 18, I went on volunteer service on University of Toronto's Asian Heritage with this PSP. I borrowed their wireless internet password with permission, fired up Internet Radio, switched off the backlight and listened for about 5-6 hours while volunteering. It lasted with 68% to spare.

Now, it's sitting here at the bed, playing music, backlight at full beam, music tracks randomized, and it keeps on going. It's been playing for more than four hours straight (4:03PM - 7:43PM) and the battery is going out.

Tonight, I will charge this PSP. Next morning I will point a webcam recording a time-lapse at it, set the backlight at full beam, play music again and prop a clock next to it so we can measure run-time.

Then, I will take FIVE more Li-Ion cells, merge them with the existing 4, and stick it on the PSP with Velcro. Then I'll check the runtime again. :D

EDIT: THE BATTERY IS DRAINED! 7:51PM.

The cells have the markings "ICR18650-20" and the manufacturer is Samsung. Closest I can find is:

http://www.samsungsdi.com/storage/batte ... 50-20F.jsp

[1] (The laptop battery as a whole is rated at 6600mAh on the sticker, the cells were wired in 3x3, so three 2200 mAh cells in parallel made up 6600mAh at 3.7V, and three of these parallelized cells in series made up 11.1V)

I'm outside of Downtown. I had to commute over an hour to get to University of Toronto.

The Super PSP Battery is charging right now as we speak.

Back