Thank goodness we are small.

I've got a Twitter account, but I don't use it a whole lot. I mainly use it for just microblogging from my phone, and since my phone isn't surgically attached to me like most other people, it's not a constant thing. That's what I like about it: no real commitment required. Just make a post every now and then and you're golden. It's kinda nice just to let friends know what I'm up to and see what they're doing. I used to have a MySpace ages ago back when it was cool to have one and only the lame people had a Facebook, but I never cared for it. Too much maintenance, friend invites from people I'd never heard of, etc, and if you weren't posting a new picture of yourself every four hours, you were a loser. Not fun... I let it die. It's for these reasons I've never bothered with a Facebook, in addition to the fact that so many of my relatives have one and if they caught wind of it, they'd bug me for my info when I'd really rather not add them. It's not that I don't like them; they seem to enjoy it, but I personally think it'd be kind of awkward to have relatives in your social networking stuff, especially when it extends beyond, say, cousins and into aunts and uncles or even grandparents. o_o

IMing is very handy. I love AIM - I even use it on my phone. It's so handy to be able to talk to friends when I'm away from home and can't otherwise communicate with them! Heck, I even talked to Palmer from Walmart on my phone through AIM today. Even when I'm at home, it's really nice to be able to have a real-time conversation with someone over the internet rather than relying on PMs or emailing.

That's totally not what Facebook is like for me. I upload a picture every couple weeks, I mainly use it as a way to organize pictures from various events. It makes it so that I can go places, not bring a camera, and still end up with pictures. I use it to contact people when I don't have their phone numbers. I update my status every couple days, no one comments. ;+;

ShockSlayer said:
lots of words

Well, from what I've seen of this forum so far, it seems to be more laid back, relaxed. I have mixed feelings about this; It certainly is more socially acceptable to derail a thread and make some jokes here, but it also feels like I'm browsing a forum that has ADD. The forums, which look very similar at first are very different.

Yeah, we started out a lot stricter... If people complain that the thread is off topic, we will straighten it out and likely delete the offending posts, but when nobody complains, not even the thread maker, it is not really our place as moderators to interfere. :p Luckily, most derails happen after the topic had lived out its usefulness, question answered, links given, etc, etc.

I once ran a small runescape private server (a few years back) it never got much attention but for the half of a year it was up many people ce and went bit there was about 20 people who stayed and my server became more of a hangout spot where we talked and flax. It was fun while it lasted andwe all became "friends" I suppose. Smaller communities are always more fun kind of lol

Kyo said:
ShockSlayer said:
lots of words

Well, from what I've seen of this forum so far, it seems to be more laid back, relaxed. I have mixed feelings about this; It certainly is more socially acceptable to derail a thread and make some jokes here, but it also feels like I'm browsing a forum that has ADD. The forums, which look very similar at first are very different.

To be honest, although this place has always been more laid back, a lot of the recent thread derailing is mostly a result of the chat being down. Usually all the non-sense was contained in there along with a few other designated threads.

League Of Those Who Want The Chat Back, for you dummies out there.

Back