Thank goodness we are small.

This really shouldn't be news to anyone. A smaller community tends to be more like a family where everyone knows everyone, in a larger community you get the feeling of anonymity and like you're just "another brick in the wall"

I'm not sure I agree. I think that in a forum setting, where the purpose IS to socialize, it doesn't fall apart. What happens is, you end up sticking to one or two subforums to post in, and you lurk the rest. You are still familiar with the others in your subforums, and it keeps a small feel. See: GaiaOnline

I always thought that with facebook, if you have 500 friends, 90% of them aren't really friends. Don't know much about twitter but it makes sense.

And in some ways it does apply to us. We are small and tight, and therefore more open to each other. It wouldn't break down, but we would have less off-topic threads and funny posts.

Keep your friends close, and your internet friends closer. I spent three years on benheck, and I don't miss the community.

I've spent just a couple months here, and I'm closer to you all more than any one else over there, regardless of shared userbase, I've made more memories here than there. I picked Palmer and Drue and with them, for I learned two important principals early on:

The one who is just friends with everyone is often the loneliest.
You can't rely on everyone as much as you can on your best friends.

This goes hand in hand with a huge community of anon's, a group of a few people(different or not) solve problems much better than a crowd.

That's the literal difference between MR and BH:
MR: "Hey guys, can any of you help me with this?"
BH: "Is there anyone out there generous enough to point me in the right direction?"

After all, that's also what benefits our administration the most, and what makes our rules work. We see your thread, what it's about, and how we can deal with potential problems, and take appropriate action based on a collaborative opinionated effort.

Once/If we become large enough to where our userbase grows exponentially, the staff is doomed to become semi-robotic, making a clear set of rules, and taking action based on those instead of the actual problem.

So, at this point, it's not "Thank goodness we are small," it's "HOLY FREAKING GOD BEING SMALL ROCKS SO HARD AND IS AWESOMEZ! :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: !!!!1111010101zzzz"

SS

βeta said:
I'm not sure I agree. I think that in a forum setting, where the purpose IS to socialize, it doesn't fall apart. What happens is, you end up sticking to one or two subforums to post in, and you lurk the rest. You are still familiar with the others in your subforums, and it keeps a small feel. See: GaiaOnline
there's a little bit of both. I've been a member of one forum from when it was small (I'm member number 2223), and now it has over 65,000 members. There are people on there I know really well, people I know what to expect, people I recognize, people I'm vaguely familiar with... there are many tiers of familiarity on there.

I think this kind of community (MR specifically) is perfect. As stupid as it sounds, I already feel really close to a lot of you and know your personalities for the most part.

Also, for the Twitter thing - it's very useful for receiving updates on stuff...I have NCSoft and their Aion developers and community managers added and they give personal updates about what's going on. It all depends on how you use it. ;)

Twitter isn't useless. Within that statement, you say social networking is useless.

Twitter is like facebook from the beta days (if anyone else was lucky to be a member then). Simple. Post what you think, have some friends, converse and interact a little.

Facebook is so cluttered with pointless flax, that it's useless. I only keep my facebook page because so many of my friends are reluctant to go to twitter. I don't even get on facebook, I simply linked my facebook to my twitter, and tweet.

I'm glad we are small. We become more involved with each other, and feel appreciated and liked as a result. Am I right that this is basically the truth?

This is why I'm not on the Benheck forums any more, too. I like the feel of smaller communities, it's easier to stay on top of new threads and give help. Occasionally I'll post on Benheck, but mostly just read.

Also, I have never, ever had a twitter, myspace, or facebook, or IM account. Nor will I ever need them. :lol:

EDIT: Yes, I am very, very lonely! :gonk:

Twitter is a dumbed-down Facebook. Kinda pointless if you ask me.

I used to go on a TF2 server, a WDZ server hosting the map PriceV4Final. In November and December, it was an awesome server. But more people heard about it, then a bunch of flax happened. Now, when it's crowded, it's kinda a hellhole.

And being a former moderator of a forum with a very active userbase (about 500 members, almost all of them are active), I have bad memories.

I agree. This community being like a family (So who's the mom SS or Palmer?) we all got to know each other really fast. That being said, I like the feel of it.

Well to be honest, before this forum, I came from a tightknit forum, almost like this one. It was for a game called Battlefield, from a site bonus.com. But it's all done now. Tight-Knit communities are better for conversation in my experiences.

zeturi said:
Also, I have never, ever had a twitter, myspace, or facebook, or IM account. Nor will I ever need them. :lol:

IM is very handy, just like email, but faster.

I have a facebook account only so I can actually view pages on facebook without being raped. That's why the account's not in my name. :awesome:

I use IM for talking to people sometimes. I did not get Facebook until the end of this summer, because I wanted to stay in touch with some people I met at camp.

Back