Stupid gamecube is a dick

Bibin

Frequent Poster
So I got a gamecube for a dollar, and it was claimed to work. It would not read any games, however. I got it to launch Mario Sunshine and let me play for a good 15 minutes by wiggling the laser part up and down a few times, but then it stopped and hasn't worked since.

Suggestions?

Re: Stupid gamecube is a IDE

I don't know what you mean by wiggling the laser. Also, I assume that when you say it doesn't work, you mean it just won't read discs? Well, if you were touching the laser lense that could be part of it. Anyways, assuming the lense isn't scratched or something and will still work, there is something you can try. It's a common problem with Gamecubes, them not reading discs after a while. If you take it apart, and I mean all the way apart, there is a pot you can adjust to increase the power going to the laser. There's probably a guide to doing it somewhere here or on BH. Or, heck, just google it. Here.

bacteria said:
If it's like the DreamCast, the remedy seems to be to turn the screw (pot?) on the side of the laser assembly about 1/8 - 1/4 turn. Anything over 1/2 a turn could damage the lazer.

SS

That fixed two of my broken lasers. I think it turns counter-clockwise, doesn't it? If it doesn't work after you do it, just turn it off, wait a bit and then turn it back on. That worked for me once.

I never new it had a pot, I haven't opened it yet. By wiggling it, I meant (using gloves) moving the laser thing that's on the bar back and forwards. Then, the game started working for 10 minutes or so. Then it stopped.

I'll try taking it apart and turning the pot I suppose.

Sounds like it might be a problem with the motor, too. Not enough grease?

Bibin said:
I never new it had a pot, I haven't opened it yet. By wiggling it, I meant (using gloves) moving the laser thing that's on the bar back and forwards. Then, the game started working for 10 minutes or so. Then it stopped.

I'll try taking it apart and turning the pot I suppose.

that worked on my ps1 also, but it stays working and doesn't stop after some time.
the pot twist I tried yesterday on my broken gamecube, now it works perfect again. (bought for 4 euro, also modded the powerlight to all colors blinkin'

Jelte1234.

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:24 pm

You just bumped a 9 month old thread. check and make sure what you're replying to isn't ancient next time.

Back