Something possibly useful... and a question.

TheNineRings

Official Hypello of ModRetro
Alright. My wind up rechargeable LED flashlight broke, so I decided to take it apart. I found a small metal cylinder with a cog on the top, and two wires coming out. I figure that as long as some of us dont mind sacrificing some size, they could take one from a flashlight and build it into their portable. This could be useful if the battery died, and you werent anywhere you could charge it. It seems to fully power a 3.7 v 40 mah battery in a minute or two, and it would be great for people using systems that have a low power draw. It would take a small amount of time, but the potential usefulness I believe is high(but only for portables with a low power draw). Also, I have a question. What are these called and where can I get them?

Yep. I think that it would be useful to have on that is modified to plug into a portable, so that it can be wound up when the battery dies. Therefore, I have not thrown it away.

I now realize that it would eat through the batteries life span, so it would not be useful. I would only use it on cheap batteries that you would not be sad about having them die.

Or Ni-CD batteries, they tend to handle that kind of charging better.

These things are dynamos. They are pretty cool, but a crank is a terrible way to generate power. Far more efficient are pull-string generators.

And by low current, you must mean REALLY low current. ;)

Yeah, really low. It barely shocks one when it is placed on the tongue. And it is Ni-cd.
I must consider that it takes a couple of minutes to charge 40 mah, would take forever for an even relatively recent portable to get enough of a charge for an hour.

Motors also work well for this, get a 12v motor and spin the shaft, it'll output voltage. Stick a regulator on that bad boy and you've got a source of.... a few mA. :D

This reminds me of a while back when I used to think people running on giant hamster wheels would solve our depends on fossil fuels. :lol:

Wait, zeturi, you're saying that DOESN'T work? God Dang, have I been wasting my time...

zeturi said:
This reminds me of a while back when I used to think people running on giant hamster wheels would solve our depends on fossil fuels. :lol:
In theory, it would. :) We just need to perfect wireless electricity for cars and such.

zeturi said:
Sounds like the plot to The Matrix.

Wireless electricity:

670796-untitled3_large.jpg

2nd favorite superhero evar.

Also, epic win.

Back