Something interesting about squishy tacts

Mario

Gin-Choobinest Member
Staff member
They have a resistance of ~100 ohms when pressed lightly and ~30 ohms when pressed hard.

Just keep an eye out for that. It's plenty fine for a game controller, but other projects may not work with it.
I was trying to test some last night, so I had my multimeter in continuity mode (where it beeps when there's a short). It didn't detect any of the buttons being pressed because the resistance is too high.

Just keep that in mind for projects.

That might actually be useful. Slightly analog buttons, anyone?

I suspect original button pads are the same way. I tested one and it read no continuity.

In the end, I doubt a few ohms is gonna make that huge of a difference, depending on the project, I suppose. Usually you're measuring resistances on terms of kOhms, or even MOhms. I'm sure a logic system will still be able to read it as a high rather than a low.

A game called Okami for the PS2 uses analog buttons. When you press the jump button (X) lightly, Ammy jumps a small distance. Firmly pressing the button makes Ammy jump high and grab wall surfaces.

This would be an interesting replacement for PS2 buttons, but I do not know how much is the resistance of my PS2 buttons. (Darn analog multimeter. :lol: )

ps3 replacement buttons? I love zooming in slightly and messing around during cutscenes in mgs4.

Mario, did I happen to put you onto this when I messured the Volts comming off these things when attached to a motor?

QuickSkop3 said:
Mario, did I happen to put you onto this when I messured the Volts comming off these things when attached to a motor?
I don't remember that. I found out when I was testing some on my Sprocket64.

I also noticed this a while ago with a LED flashlight i made. used squishy tact as dim button and regular for full brightness

Back