Solid State Drives

Sonyportableizer

Been hearing about these new fancy Solid State Drives. Theyr quite, fast, and not easy to break. That being said I can find nothing on the subject of any worth.
Anyone know stuff about them or know about a good 2.5 ide solid state drive? They seem pretty interesting, though pretty expensive

No such thing, unfortunately. They won't support TRIM or any proper wear leveling algorithm and will slow down quickly if they don't die first.

You could always go for a fast CF card, although that isn't exactly high end SSD speeds.

Naw im looking in the curiosity department, I saw one at the store for a few THOUSAND and was like why so much?
Not much info on google, but I thought if it was the best super awesomest SSD one could buy then maybe I could see it being that much for a rich dude

Fast, cheap, good. Pick two.

If you have a bunch of RAM, get a utility that can make a RAM Disk and play with that. It's a free way to get a taste of how fast SSDs can be. (RAID 0 is also an option if you have a couple drives you don't mind wiping. My work PC has two 10k RPM UltraSCSI-320 drives in RAID 0 as the scratch and pagefile disk; it sustains about 100 megs a second and gives the old dual 3ghz P4 Xeon thing a good kick in the butt. :cool: Just keep in mind that they call it RAID 0 because that's the number of files you can recover if one of your drives fails.)

I've got a PowerBook that will soon get an SSD. Once it's together I'll post how fast it boots 7. :awesome:

My desktop boots from a 32GB Corsair SSD that I got for $70. Boots in like 5-7 seconds. Shuts down in less than 2. Quite nice :)

bic said:
Fast, cheap, good. Pick two.

If you have a bunch of RAM, get a utility that can make a RAM Disk and play with that. It's a free way to get a taste of how fast SSDs can be. (RAID 0 is also an option if you have a couple drives you don't mind wiping. My work PC has two 10k RPM UltraSCSI-320 drives in RAID 0 as the scratch and pagefile disk; it sustains about 100 megs a second and gives the old dual 3ghz P4 Xeon thing a good kick in the butt. :cool: Just keep in mind that they call it RAID 0 because that's the number of files you can recover if one of your drives fails.)

I've got a PowerBook that will soon get an SSD. Once it's together I'll post how fast it boots 7. :awesome:
naw, post how fast it boots 8 :D

it's like, not even 10 seconds for me.

Back